How long did it take you to be able to sleep on your side/stomach?

Momma1991
on 4/14/13 7:04 pm - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

I am naturally a belly/side sleeper. So these past few days of sleeping on my back aren't doing me any justice. I dread bed time cause I know I have to sleep on my back and it bothers me. So last night I tried laying on my side and man was it uncomfortable!!  How long did it take for you to feel comfortable again on your side? Also my second question is, is it normal for me to sleep only 3-4hrs straight before I wake up? No matter what I do I can not get a full nights sleep. I am awake about 3-4 times a night..... every 3-4hrs....

Tiggybeep
on 4/14/13 7:13 pm
RNY on 04/02/13 with

Once my drain was out, I was able to sleep on my right side.  Left side?  forget about it, at least for me; that's the side that's the reason I was 12 days on oxy.  Stomach is gonna take even longer, I imagine.

Right there with you on the frequent waking up.  At first I thought it was because of pain/discomfort/stiffness (or some combo there-of), but tonight I'm really close to pain-free, and yet here it is, 5 am, and I'm up for the second time.  I'm figuring my sleep cycle got all kinds of funked up between the ICU and then the regular hospital "joys" of blood pressure/blood sugar/temperature/shot-time checks roughly every hour round the clock.  I thought once I got home it would instantly re-regulate, but no such luck.  Guess like anything else it'll take its time to sort itself back out.

Have2laugh
on 4/14/13 7:18 pm - Cheektowaga, NY

I am able to sleep on my side already 4 days out, but I can't sleep more than a few hours at a time either. Everything about this is so different. I did so much reading before hand but I still feel over my head sometimes.

Andrea Durlak Buffalo NY surgery date April 11 2013 highest weight 278 pre surgery weight 276

jrobin14
on 4/14/13 8:15 pm - Charlotte, NC

I too am a side sleeper i found putting a pillow there in front and back for support helped until the pain was less.

MrsLitch
on 4/14/13 10:24 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

at a week out I couldn't stand sleeping on my back anymore. I carefully and with the help of my husband propped pillows where I needed them to support the belly until I was comfy. It wasn't a full side/belly sleep but it got better each night until I was finally sleeping normal again. I remember using my headboard to hold on to as I flipped sides as I can't sleep the entire night on one side.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

dahoodman
on 4/14/13 10:42 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I can sleep on my side, but man when I get up, ouch!!! It's like everything shifted and then when it has to go back into place it hurts. If I wear my CPAP I can sleep all night, but if I don't wear it I only sleep for a couple of hours, but it was always that way even before surgery.

I think if you are waking up every 3 or 4 hours maybe you have sleep apnea? If it's obstructive like mine, most likely it will go away with weight loss.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

aesposito
on 4/14/13 11:23 pm

I slept sitting up on a couch or easy chair for about three weeks, then eased my ways onto  my side and stomach because it was driving me crazy.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Brenda S.
on 4/14/13 11:28 pm - FL
RNY on 04/09/13

I've been sleeping on my side since day 4 or 5.  I just put a pillow against my belly before I turn over.  I slowly, gently turn to my side, and the pillow supports my belly when I turn over.  Clear as mud?    Once I got it all figured out, it made for MUCH better nights!

Good luck!

Brenda

MichelleNC
on 4/14/13 11:48 pm

I sleep on my side either one and have from I think day 5 and on. I was scared at first and it did cause some pain getting into position but I can't sleep good on my back. These days I just jump into bed on my side literally and I think maybe I should still be taking it easy it is just a month today!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

SoCaPinkLady
on 4/15/13 12:18 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I am a stomach sleeper and even though it hurt to get into position and get up I took time getting into position and the pain was intense for a few minutes but then would subside and I'd have a good sleep. It depends on what you are comfortable with. After having 3 C-sections I know that all the moving helps the body heal. Just be careful you don't overdo it.

Lori                               

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 352 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 253 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 114 views