3 protein reviews

shedevilbecca
on 5/2/13 11:42 pm - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

I have tried three new protein sources in the last few days and I wanted to share my thoughts on them.

1. Unjury chicken soup protein powder. 21 grams of protein per scoop. I think I may have posted about trying this one before. This time I added a low sodium chicken broth cube. It was really good and my co-worker even liked it.

2. Sunkist protein shot. I got the fruit punch flavor. They have 24 grams of protein in each one. I mix a half bottle of the protein drink in to a 16 oz water bottle add water and half a packet of Great  Value (Walmart brand) cherry lime-aid drink mix. I like to drink it very cold. Taste really good.

3. Unjury protein-D cheese sauce. 21 grams of protein in each scoop. Taste like the powder cheese you would get from a box of mac and cheese. It was so so for me. I can see using it on a vegetable later on when I can have them so I can have the protein. 

I am pre-op and will be having my surgery on May 30th. I have been trying out different protein drinks so I am ready for next week when I start my 3 week liquid diet.

poet_kelly
on 5/2/13 11:55 pm - OH

Since the Sunkist protein shot is mostly collagen (that's the same stuff that's in gelatin, and Jello isn't a good source of protein, right?), you'll absorb very little protein from that.

The Unjury is whey isolate, so that's a great source of protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

shedevilbecca
on 5/3/13 1:15 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

I did not think about the type of protein. Thanks for the heads up on that.

shedevilbecca
on 5/3/13 1:25 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

Does this mean it has both in it? (copied from lucky vitamin website)

Patent pending blend of enzymatically hydrolyzed (predigested) collagenic protein isolate, whey protein isolate (milk), casein protein isolate (milk).

Thanks for all your help and advice poet_kelly. I always enjoy reading post from you and find your information very helpful.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/3/13 3:01 am - OH

Yes, it has both, but the majority of it is collagen.  The manufacturer of one of the other protein bullet/shots indicated that the PDCAAS score of theirs was .08 (as compared to a score of 1 for pure whey protein).  That means you will only absorb 8% of the protein in it!  The Sunkist composition might be slightly different, but I wouldn't count (and risk my nutrition) on it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

K. L
on 5/3/13 12:42 am
RNY on 08/20/12

Anyone know where we can currently buy the Unjury protein'd cheese sauce?? I immediately Googled it after reading this review, but the Unjury website says "This seasonal product will be available again in the Fall"

shedevilbecca
on 5/3/13 1:12 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

Awww man! I thought they were going to keep selling it until the end of May. I know they were having a buy one get one free sale. I was reading that they don't ship it during the hot summer months.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/3/13 3:03 am - OH

It has to stay cool (you have to keep it in the refrigerator at home), so it probably spoils in the heat during shipping.  Even in the refrigerator, it is only "good" for a couple of months, BTW.

Lora

phyl9
on 5/3/13 3:12 am

I agree that the protein shots are not the best option due to the type of protein in them. I didn't mind the Unjury chicken soup flavor- but be sure not to heat it over 140 degrees so you don't cook the protein. I did NOT care for the "unflavored" Unjury protein powder- unflavored does NOT mean without flavor- it has a strong, nasty taste.

I use Premier protein drinks (from Costco-and other places)- I like the chocolate better than the vanilla- but that's me. I really like the Pure Protein canned drinks- frosty chocolate or the banana- but they are the most expensive. The vanilla & strawberry were ok.

I just tried the GNC protein drink- their new one- I like the chocolate better than the vanilla- but both were good. Haven't tried the strawberry.   

I have tried some of the Syntrex powdered protein drinks- they are thinner and smaller in fluid total to mix together. Tons of flavors-not my favorite- but you could use them right after surgery.

Isopure- your clear protein- my favorite flavors were apple melon & Pineapple Orange Banana- and I hear mango peach is really good. That is really a personal choice!

I have tried diffrent Quest bars-my fav was chocolate brownie (do you sense a trend here? LOL). You can unwrap them, put them on a plate & nuke them in the microwave for 1 minute & they get soft.   

I have the Unjury cheese powder in the fridge- haven't tried it yet. I also found PB2- powdered low fat peanuts- I mix it into my morning cream of wheat/oatmeal or greek yogurt.- still figuring out all the ways to use it. Very tasty- you can buy at GNC.

OK- that's my protein journey so far! You just have to try them to figure out if they taste good to you. I need to investigate the powdered proteins- more cost effective! Good luck!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/3/13 5:05 am - OH

Did you try the unflavored protein powder by itself or mixed in with something else?  For some reason, a number of people DO think that unflavored means tasteless (which is does not), and even when they know it has some taste, they still want to try to drink it "straight"  (which sounds completely disgusting, but iI ever tried it that way) rather than putting it in SF pudding, soups, etc. (where you won't notice it).

Lora

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 8 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views