DONATED HAIR TO LOCKS OF LOVE! - pictorial journey of my hair thinning story

Dar_Mab
on 6/16/13 8:43 am, edited 6/16/13 9:00 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

iOkayi,  I have no clue how to get the album added to this posting but if you care to go to my photos and look up the "Hair Donation Journey 2013 album"  you will see some pictures outlining my hair thinning story and my solution to the problem.

I have had long thick hair for many years.  Can't remember when it was last short but it has to be at least 10 or 12 years - even then it was shoulder length.     

I show some pics of me on Feb 20 - pre surgery. Surgery was on March 8.  You can see how nice my hair was (well my opinion anyway).     Then you will see some pics of my hair yesterday.   I am only 14 weeks post surgery (3.5 months) and it has been coming out by the handfuls.  Now long hair coming out is probably more distressing than shorter hair because one strand of long hair can look like a lot by itself.     Now picture my brush and floor with handfuls of long hair coming out.   I have been most distressed.     So for those wondering how much hair you can lose take a look at the pics.  For the most part people probably can't tell -- probably more upsetting to me than others.    But then look at the pics of yesterday - especially the back of my hair.  That is a good demo of how thin it is looking on the ends and the front near my bangs.

I love my long hair and have always felt long hair is easier to look after and so much more versatile than short hair.   Having said that, I only like long hair when it looks thick and healthy.  I do not like it looking thin and straggly.   And I am early stages of this hair loss journey.   Funny how some of our self-esteem is tied up in our hair (excuse the bad but deliberate pun!)

So over the past week, I have studied various hair cuts and consulted with my hair stylist.   I looked at just chopping off a few inches to make the ends look better.   But I have always said that if I ever cut my hair, I would donate it .     So chopping mid length was not an option as I wouldn't have met the 10" minimum to donate.  

Yesterday I made a hair donation  to http://www.locksoflove.org/  .   I also show pics of the process and the resulting outcome!  I had shed a few tears on the way to the appointment yesterday at what I was about to do.  But onward and forward (hey, I think that is someone's handle on this forum.. she knows who she is!) with my 2013 Year of Transformation!      

So there is more than one way to tackle the hair thinning problem !  At least I am able to help a child who didn't really have a choice about their hair condition or loss!     

My husband is still away on his 6 week trip.  He is going to be shocked in more ways than one when he gets home!   But then I do like to keep him on his toes!    Decided I better paste something on Facebook to warm him up to the idea before he gets home.

Enjoy!

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

ever
on 6/16/13 9:01 am - Saratoga Springs, NY
You look fantastic! Color is amazing! You look younger AND thinner!
Dar_Mab
on 6/17/13 9:12 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Thank you !

ShadowHR
on 6/16/13 9:07 am - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

You look fantastic, thank you for sharing!

Surgery Weight 245

Dar_Mab
RNY on 03/08/13

Thank you so much!

65rosesmom
on 6/16/13 9:19 am

Wow, what a great way to transition to the short hair.  You look terrific and that hair is going to be so important to someone who has lost their hair!!!

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

sue P.
on 6/16/13 9:32 am
RNY on 05/05/15

You look amazing. It was a wonderful change. love everything about it!

Dar_Mab
RNY on 03/08/13

Thanks a lot!

Dar_Mab
on 6/17/13 9:13 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Thanks so much!

The_girl_next_door
on 6/16/13 9:44 am