Bad Taste in the mouth...does it ever go away??

alisluv
on 7/6/13 8:58 pm - Carolina Beach, NC

So I'm 2 weeks post-op, and doing well. Surgery was great, recovery good, adjusting to the diet - so I shouldn't be complaining! BUT....I have this horrible taste in my mouth all the time, and I know that part of it is due to ketosis (?), and maybe some could be from medicines, etc., but I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and how LONG it lasted?!!   I'm brushing my teeth 4-5 times a day just to make it feel better (I've asked my partner and been told it's not bad breath, WHEW) - but it's like there's always this metallic-type taste lingering.  Food doesn't taste the same, or even taste that good -- I eat what I'm supposed to just to get the protein and a few calories in, but nothing is appetizing.  Thanks for any advice/experiences/suggestions!

PetHairMagnet
on 7/6/13 9:31 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Actually, bad breath normally is present during weight loss.

I know the metallic taste you speak of, some items just don't taste good at all to me...and I am okay with that! I am brushing my teeth many times a day!

My husband had his surgery last October and still has the icky taste more often than not. I am 8 weeks tomorrow and have it 24/7.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

ShadowHR
on 7/6/13 9:43 pm - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

This too shall pass.  I think it went away about 6-8 wks post op for me.  

Keep your chin up, you are doing great!

Surgery Weight 245

CorKel6
on 7/6/13 10:11 pm

I know how you feel.  I found brushing my teeth helps but also just rinsing out my mouth helps too.  Since we are sipping the water doesn't necessarily reach all the little nuks and crannies of our mouthes anymore and just giving a good swish and spit can make a difference.  It will eventually go away.  

baepage
on 7/6/13 10:59 pm - MA
RNY on 04/22/13

I had the same problem for the first 7-8 weeks.  I was always brushing, my mouth always felt dirty and gritty.  I does go away.  I think its called ketosis, and it happens when losing weight.  I am about 12 weeks now, and that problem is gone.

Barbara

Dee.spunk
on 7/6/13 11:02 pm - Sacramento, CA
No, it doesn't last forever. I think mine lasted about 6 weeks. I just carried around sugar free mints for when I couldn't brush.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

VintageChick
on 7/7/13 12:12 am

Spearmint BreathSavers. I bought a huge package! 

At 7 weeks the bad taste has diminished - but I have added some carbs back in my diet at this point. Ketosis isn't quite as strong. 

alisluv
on 7/7/13 1:56 am - Carolina Beach, NC

Thanks everyone! Your responses make me feel better - I never read about having this side effect, so I'm glad it's relatively short term!

:-)

The_girl_next_door
on 7/7/13 3:21 am
I still have "bad breath!" I have never had this problem before in my life. I can't wait for it to subside.
Ginel
on 7/7/13 3:28 am

Yes, itI will go away.  Ice breakers were a huge help for me.  I also brushed my teeth and used mouth wash alot.  

Surgery Date 5/7/2013- HW 271- GW 160        

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 256 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views