New to RNY

Coder
on 7/27/13 10:49 am - PA
RNY on 12/18/13

I  had planned on having the sleeve and after visiting the Dr. I found out that I am not a candidate due to extensive reflux.  My only option is RNY.  I feel like I am starting from the beginning.  I am so thankful to have these boards to read and to have your support.   My question is has anyone had severe GERD before surgery and how did you feel after.

Mo Diggity
on 7/27/13 8:39 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I had really bad GERD for about a year before Surgery (surgery 7/3), and haven't felt anything since :)

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

PetHairMagnet
on 7/27/13 9:14 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

My husband had SEVERE GERD for over a decade, in fact, I think it was closer to two decades...it was just something he'd been on medication for as long as we could recall. But 30 days after his RNY he was off his meds and now, nearly a year later, issue free! We consider it an amazing blessing in and of itself. He has said if he'd known how much better it would be with his GERD, he'd have done this years ago even if there was no weight loss.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

JenniPenny
on 7/28/13 2:43 am - MN

My RNy surgery was originally scheduled to get rid of the acid reflux. The weight loss was going to be a bonus. I had gerd so bad I was having esophageal spasms - felt like a heart attack. I had eaten away part of my espohagus and all the enamel on my back teeth. Not to mention constant heart burn and problems with my stomach lining. I haven't had one ounce of heart burn since surgery. My surgeon was aware of my condition before surgery and said something about making my pouch out of a part of the stomach with very few "acid" ports that spew acid into the stomach on a normal person. I took Protonix and Zantac for years. I was able to get rid of the gerd and also to lose 114 pounds. I eat spicy foods now and don't have a problem. Some people get acid reflux after RNY surgery but it's treatable and not anything like it was pre op. I wasn't a candidate for the band as it would have made the acid reflux worse so I went with RNY. I'm happy I did - would do it over again every single year in order to feel this good and have NEVER regretted my decision. I'll be 12 yrs out in September.

Jen 11+ ys post op RNY

MsBatt
on 7/28/13 2:54 am

I had severe GERD pre-op. I slept sitting up most of the time.

I chose the DS, so I have a Sleeved stomach. I have had ZERO reflux since surgery in December of 2003.

Coder
on 7/28/13 6:10 am - PA
RNY on 12/18/13

Thank you all for your help.  I have been on Protonix for 5 years.  I am hoping to get off of it after surgery.  These boards are such a blessing

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 13 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views