Drinking with a straw

April M.
on 8/9/13 1:20 pm - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13

Use a straw, don't ever use a straw. Drinking from a straw will fill your pouch with air and cause it to stretch. These are all things I have heard or read.  What's the deal with straws? I can't see how it would stretch your pouch if its a funnel. I mean, we still burp. I would like some information about this from some of the vets please and thanks in advance.

illinois Gama D.
on 8/9/13 1:23 pm

I used a straw from day one, still do, I never had a problem, it will not cause any of the above issues , except SOME, say it gives them gas, so if it works for you and helps to get the fluids all in I say, what the heck go for it, it sure never hurt me any and I never had the gas some get.

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

April M.
on 8/9/13 1:28 pm - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13

Exactly! My surgeon never said don't use a straw. He just said sip. I was given a straw on every tray of beverages they gave me in the hospital after surgery. My cousin had WLS two years ago and was told she can never use a straw again? She gasped and freaked out when she saw me drinking my protein shake with a straw and told me my pouch would fill with air and stretch out. I thought to myself, how can you fill a funnel with air? It will just leak out won't it? I mean maybe I'm nuts, but it doesn't make since to me.  I can still burp so how is it gonna fill up? I just thought it was silly. lol

poet_kelly
on 8/9/13 10:16 pm - OH

Glad to see  you are using your brain.  Of course it makes no sense that using a straw could stretch your pouch.  Please keep asking questions when things don't make logical sense to you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/9/13 1:27 pm - OH

Using a straw cannot stretch your pouch.  This one always amazes me, because it makes absolutely NO sense, so I have to question the intelligence of nutritionists who perpetuate this nonsense!  I certainly wouldn't trust one who said this!

My surgeon didn't want us using straws for the first 2 (or maybe it was 3?) weeks, but said they were fine after that.  Most people have no trouble using straws but occasionally someone finds that they swallow more air and it causes discomfort.  (I'm not sure how they do that, but nevertheless...)  Many people find that using a straw makes it much easier to get their daily liquids in.  I used one for quite a while for that very reason, and have recently started using one again (I'm 6 years out) because I am trying to get more fluids because of trouble with kidney stones.

As long as it doesn't cause discomfort, it is fine.  Well, I have never heard of a legitimate medical reason not to use them, anyway.

Lora 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

April M.
on 8/9/13 1:31 pm - Clarksville, TN
RNY on 03/11/13

It was from another WLS patient who says her surgeon is very strict with the no straw rule for that reason. I think she's crazy. lol I use straws all the time, have no ill effects. Thanks for your reply. I'm not crazy after all. lol

ebtiger24
on 8/9/13 1:28 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

A straw is fine. If it gives you gas from the air you might choose not to use it, but it will not hurt your pouch. 

Mo Diggity
on 8/9/13 2:41 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

This is a great post !!  This was one of the rules from my surgeon's office that I didn't really give that much thought to. I was like "Oh well, that kinda stinks... I'll miss straws" lol....  But now that you guys are talking about it, it really doesn't make that much sense !!

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

Justcallmesuz
on 8/9/13 3:07 pm
RNY on 05/08/13

I've used a straw since day one!

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

kksnewsong
on 8/9/13 3:11 pm
RNY on 06/06/13
Its funny because I was told no straw and my friend also --- we had same surgeon 4 months apart----she was having trouble getting in liquids and they asked if she drank with straw before surgery and she said yes so guess what? Then go back to using it! Me I'm 9 weeks out so I'm dragging on liquids - getting adequate amount but need more-- so I started using one! Makes getting liquids in so much easier and no problems! So I'm sticking with my straw!
  1.     kksnewsòng

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 62 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views