Urges seem to be gone

dessalves
on 9/8/13 11:55 pm

Does anyone else feel like that?? I mean, before my surgery I just had to eat all this junk food and sweets..it was like it was bigger than me and I couldn't think of anything else until I had eaten a lot and felt completely full almost to the point of getting sick. Since my surgery I don't feel that any longer. I don't feel the urge to eat like a pig as I used to and when I see somebody eating something that I liked and would have wanted I might want to eat it but I know that I can't and it won't be any good for me and just like that I don't feel like eating anymore. Did you guys experienced this? For the vets out there, does the urges come back?

Member Services
on 9/9/13 12:03 am - Irvine, CA

Great news!  

AnnieD9999
on 9/9/13 1:39 am - Columbus, OH

I am in no way a vet (6 months out) but I can tell you that some of my urges did come back. I have a huge sweet tooth so I have to be really careful about bringing sweets into the house because even if it takes me all day, one bite at a time to eat a doughnut, I will eat it. I also love to bake, but I have a system with my friend that if I bake, she will take everything, and i'll just keep one for myself and some for my husband.

I have no desire to eat at McDonalds, or fast food really. But I wasn't a huge fast food junkie before surgery (I might have picked up breakfast a few times a month at McDonalds)

I dont really crave soda, Sometimes I'll have a Diet Dr Pepper, but I like it almost flat now so I have to open it in the morning and let it set in the fridge all day to be able to drink it by dinner.

When I was a month out from surgery all I wanted to eat for the rest of my life was Salads and fresh veggies and just good light healthy things. That changed for me. I still crave a big baked potato with sour cream cheese and chives, or a big ole hunk of sourdough bread. But I tend to just stick with crackers (whole grain) and occasionally a tortilla.

selhard
on 9/9/13 3:34 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

This very subject came up at our support group...a 30ish gal said WLS was like turning an OFF switch for her. Pre-surgery, she would not be finished with one food while thinking about what next food to have or she would plan her day around which drive- through to hit next.   Some, but not all, vets did admit urges and temptations do appear at about 12 months post op and beyond.  Only one vet reported no urges but she is extremely diligent...she says she has the exact same thing to eat daily and doesn't stray even one morsel.  Gotta say, she's the exception, but she's also very successful.  Hmmmm.

ToNewBeginnings
on 9/9/13 3:45 am

I felt the same way. My hunger and urges came back nearing my first year. 

christinalee
on 9/9/13 4:09 am - At Home in, NH

You asked "do the urges come back?"  I can only answer for myself and the answer is yes, they do.  I have a lifetime of obese eating habits, and the surgery only affects the stomach (hardware), not the brain (software). 

However, I listened to the advise of those people way further out from me when I first post-op.  And their advice was to develop good habits early on.  Because it's those habits that will sustain you when/if the urges resurface. 

So while I do experience the desire to overeat and overstuff and graze occasionally, I also have developed good eating habits (protein first, no drinking with meals, eating healthy foods, stopping when satisified, and planning, planning, planning) that help me through those desires/urges.  Plus, I work on the mind-eating connection (mental thing) daily, and I've learned not to deny myself simple pleasures and enjoyments. 

I enjoy everything in moderation, I track my eating faithfully using MyFitnessPal, I exercise, I continue to follow my program's plan regarding liquids, vitamins, labs, etc., I attend a monthly support group offered by my Bariatric Program, I practice mindfulness about eating, sleeping, and healthy habits, and I stay focused on what's important to me.  Those are the tools I use to deal with those urges.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Jacob H.
on 9/9/13 4:11 am - CA

The urges do come back, and, at least in my cir****tance, I get strong cravings for sweets once every few months. It can be a major battle

True victory comes at the very end, when you can say, " I lived, and will gladly do it again." View "failure" as a setback, and meet each accomplishment with a larger goal.

cajungirl
on 9/9/13 4:12 am
Well it comes back for many. I struggle with sugar intake and do have to watch myself. I do know of people that don't care for sweets at all, vice versa on carbs.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

dessalves
on 9/9/13 4:37 am

Thank you all for the replies. I guess I thought it was too good to be true but I know that the most important is developing new habits because when those urges do come I'll be able to control them and not the other way around.

nfarris79
on 9/9/13 5:43 am - Germantown, MD

For me, it felt like a beautiful (albeit brief) respite from the cravings/urges. This is your sweet spot to practice the healthy tools and put a new lifestyle in practice before (if) they come back. Other posters have given really good suggestions, but, appreciate this moment!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 202 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 325 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?