Anyone lost 100 lbs that could tell me about skin?

longing_to_be_free
on 9/10/13 2:43 pm - shawnee, OK

Hello Everyone,  I am just in the beginning stage of working towards surgery.  I am in the process of scheduling my consultation & insurance approval.

I weigh 230 lbs and am 5'0 tall.  My BMI is 45.  Can anyone tell me what it is like having lost 100 lbs? loose skin, breathing, health.  I take medication for reflux, high cholesterol, ultram and effexor for fibromyalgia, I have asthma, no energy. I sleep a lot.

I am scared that this will not be a happy ending story.  I've been heavy for so many years, I really want a happy ending.  Not to mention, I would like to detoxify my body of all of the medicines I have to take. I want to be pill free.

Thanks so much.

hannan
on 9/10/13 11:49 pm - FL
RNY on 06/06/12

For me the skin was an afterthought. Having what I call a grandma belly and thighs is much much much better than being border line diabetic, and having high blood pressure. One day I want a tummy tuck and thigh lift and new boobs but I'm so so so much happier at 169 than I was at 290. 

longing_to_be_free
on 9/11/13 11:00 pm - shawnee, OK

Hello Hannan,  You are completely right!  I have been big for so long, I just wonder how it looks to lose this much weight.

Thanks, Talena

hannan
on 9/11/13 11:31 pm - FL
RNY on 06/06/12

Losing a 100 pounds looks glorious.

chulbert
on 9/11/13 12:09 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

You need to understand the difference between a happy ending and a perfect ending.  There are no fairy tales.  If you are committed to the post-op lifestyle then you will be happier, healthier, and more energetic than you can possibly imagine.

However, you will have lose skin.  Maybe a little, maybe a lot - it depends on age, starting size, and luck.  You may still take some pills but almost certainly fewer or less often.

All-or-nothing cannot be the yard stick by which you measure success.

christinalee
on 9/11/13 2:44 am - At Home in, NH

I think the fear is normal for some.  But a better way, I think, to look at it is -- you get out what you put in...  If you go into this with a positive, upbeat attitude and a vision of what you are trying to achieve and work towards that goal, then I think the future is bright.  Conversely, if you approach this with fear and unrealistic expectations (like the surgery will do all the work and you will be able to resume your same lifestyle that brought to the table in the first place) I think then you tend to set yourself up for disappointment.  It's like every things else in life, you reap what you sow.

You probably will have some loose skin; but how much and to what extent depends on genetics, age, elasticity of your skin, and other factors.  Certainly you will reduce your reliance on some meds, but again, that depends on your medical condition, etc.  I too wanted to be pill free, but my blood pressure didn't come down the way I wanted or my doctor wanted.  I was able to reduce the dosage and the quantity, but I still have high blood pressure (I'm sure there's a genetic factor here because my entire family has high blood pressure), but it is well under control and the Rx pill I take for it is laudable.

I do believe that losing 100 pounds is a GLORIOUS event, a FANTASTIC achievement, and something that is entirely do-able.  But, again, to sound like a broken record, the journey is yours to make!  Approach with realistic goals (maybe not pill free, but reliance on many meds nullified or reduced), a great attitude (positive thinking, not fear), and prepare to put in the work (working towards a happy journey and not an ending because afterall it is a lifetime journey not a rush to a destination), and I think you'll find yourself on one of the most exciting journey's you'll ever undertake.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Suzi S.
on 9/11/13 3:54 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 01/14/13

I'm 5' 1" and at my highest weight I was 220 at surgery I was 207.  I'm now at 142.4 and if I didn't lose another pound I would be more than satisfied.  I'm off the blood pressure and reflux medicine and feel great.  I'm 46 years old and have been heavy off and on (more on) since my teens.  I have always been pear shaped with heavier thighs and tush.  So now the saggy skin is there but its not terrible.  I'm just starting not to be comfortable in sleeveless shirts but as long as I don't go with short shorts, I'm fine.  I think if I exercised more, the resulting muscle would make this appear a bit better.  I'm working on it.

If I had to bet, you sleep a lot because you are either depressed or have a sleeping disorder or both.  The sleep depravation can cause depression.  This surgery isn't a quick fix to happiness, nor should it be about how you will look.  Once you regain your health, if you are happy with what's in the mirror, there are other things you can do.

RNY:  1/14/2013, HW:  220, SW: 207, CW:  182.8, GW:  125

Jewelsstevens
on 9/11/13 5:40 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

I was 5 ft 5 and weighed 263. My excess skin is not that bad except for in my stomach area. I call it my 3rd boob LOL....sorry for my twisted humor. I have been really lucky with my arms, legs and neck. Unfortunately, we are all different.

longing_to_be_free
on 9/11/13 12:47 pm - shawnee, OK

Hell Jewel Stevens,  Thank you for letting me know your outcome.  Have you had any regrets with your RNY?  My husband is worried, of course.  He is 6'4 and weighs 200 lbs.  He has never had a weight problem and says that all I have to do is exercise and watch what I eat. 

I plan to do those things once I have my surgery.  I look at the surgery as a powerful tool that will be my insurance that the hard work of exercising and eating healthy will be a success.  I am a janitor and I work very hard, I sweat a lot and one would think I would be able to lose weight, but it sticks to me like glue.

Do you have any pictures you can share with me, and if you do, do you mind if I share them with my huband so he can get an idea of what I have a chance to look like?

Thank you,

Talena

longing_to_be_free
on 9/11/13 12:51 pm - shawnee, OK

OH MY GOODNESS!!!

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to write the "he**", I meant to write Hello.

Talena

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 67 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views