Rude Surgeon

tdbull
on 9/26/13 12:47 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had the worst experience with a Kaiser bariatric surgeon. I'm still fighting drainage from drain holde and my PCP referred me to surgeon. When he walked in the room he said "I see you had your surgery in MX". He then proceeded to say in a very derogatory way, " we'll what's he going to do about this"? I was shocked. I spent the next 15 minutes listening to his ego compare his way versus "third world country ways and how he detests ppl like me who choose international medical tourism. My DH wants to report him, but at least he finally ordered me a CT scan so I am going to wait. I will chat with my PCP because I doubt Kaiser policy is to have their surgeons verbally attack patients to the point of tears.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

jenmcg
on 9/26/13 12:56 am - MN
RNY on 09/16/13

You need to say something...and sooner rather than later. That is unacceptable behavior. I think the company would like to know that they have a complete ass of a surgeon working there. He's not paid for his personal opinion, he's paid for his professional opinion regarding the issue at hand. I don't care if I had surgery in my back effing yard, I'm entitled to be treated like a human being. You are a stronger woman than I am. I would have told him what he can do to himself and in which part of his anatomy. What a jerk. I'm sorry you were treated that way!

poet_kelly
on 9/26/13 1:00 am - OH

I would let your PCP know, and if the surgeon has a supervisor, you can also let that person know.  If your DH wants to report him to the state medical board, I can tell you that's not really something the medical board deals with.  Doctors are allowed to be rude to patients.  I mean, it's not against the law and they can't lose their license or anything for being rude.  Of course they should not be rude, I'm not saying it's OK.  Just that reporting it to the medical board won't accomplish anything.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chulbert
on 9/26/13 1:09 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Sounds unprofessional to me; however, I imagine it's frustrating to be a surgeon who has to mop up other surgeons' problems.

poet_kelly
on 9/26/13 1:29 am - OH

He's getting paid well to do it.  If he doesn't want to see patients that have been operated on by another surgeon, or by a surgeon in another country, he doesn't have to.  And if it causes him so much frustration that he becomes verbally abusive, then he shouldn't be doing it.  If he's going to do it, he should treat his patients with respect.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tdbull
on 9/26/13 4:01 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Thank you, Kelly. He didn't know all of my cir****tances to treat me the way he did.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

poet_kelly
on 9/26/13 4:28 am - OH

No matter what the cir****tances are, it's rude and unprofessional and he shouldn't have behaved that way.

Mo Diggity
on 9/26/13 1:10 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

You shoulda told him that maybe if surgeons like him didn't charge astronomical amounts in this country, people wouldn't be FORCED to go to a different country where it is tens of thousands of dollars cheaper

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

scoobyluvr1
on 9/26/13 3:59 am
RNY on 10/21/13

AND that's the TRUTH!

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

-Babydoll-
on 9/26/13 2:30 am - Racine, WI
RNY on 08/08/13
Sorry you were treated that way. You/no one deserve that kind of treatment.

Most Active
Recent Topics