Am I expecting too much??

dessalves
on 9/29/13 11:22 pm

Am I the only one that keeps getting frustrated with the loss? I am 2 and a half months out and I have lost almost half of my goal but I am still not happy with my loss. I'll explain: I know that 60 lbs is a lot to lose in the time that I've lost it but I really can't tell the difference. I mean with my before/after pics I can tell that I lost a lot but it doesn't seem to matter. I still have a hard time shopping for clothes and people who don't know about the surgery don't even comment on my weigh loss. Am I being too hard on myself and expecting too much? Do you guys ever feel the same way? Don't get me wrong I am happy with everything that I am accomplishing I just thought that 60 lbs would have made a greater difference, you know what I mean?

poet_kelly
on 9/29/13 11:37 pm - OH

You've lost half your goal in just two and a half months?!  Wow, on average it takes people about six months to lose half their excess weight!  Yeah, it sounds like you are expecting way too much if you're disappointed by losing as much as most people lose in six months in less than three months.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dessalves
on 9/29/13 11:41 pm

I know it makes no sense at all but I just thought that it would show more you know? But I didn't know it took people that long to lose as much as I did. That makes me feel better!! Thanks!!

poet_kelly
on 9/29/13 11:43 pm - OH

Sometimes how much it shows is more a matter of your own perception than reality, if that makes sense.  Can other people tell?  Sometimes it's like it takes our brains a while to catch up and we can't see a difference but others can.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dessalves
on 9/29/13 11:50 pm

People who know about the surgery can so I keep thinking that they are only saying something to make me feel better. But deep down I know that I am changing I can tell when I look at pictures. I think it is just anxiety...

Needanewbeginning
on 9/29/13 11:55 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Truly, I felt the same. Yes, I was loosing a lot and felt great, but I found people weren't noticing the first few months. Now, 4 1/2 months out, people say things ALL the time. I still see the BIG me, even though now I am in a size 16 from 26. What's up with that eh? Head games for sure. People will notice, they WILL say things soon, trust me they will. Keep doin it girl, it's an amazing journey and try to enjoy it. 

Annette angry

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Angie_K
on 9/30/13 1:06 am - VA
RNY on 05/22/13
I completely agree with this. I started in the same size as you and had surgery the day after you. I'm now inching my way into a 14. Me, a 14? No way! I caught a glimpse of the new me when I was coloring my hair last week when I was standing in front of the mirror and my hair was all slicked back and I honestly didn't recognize the person looking back at me. It's cool and sometimes creepy all at the same time. Enjoy the ride. I know I'm having fun unsubscribing to all the Catherine's and Lane Bryant emails I keep getting

chris_ruff
on 9/30/13 12:15 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

60 lbs is a huge loss. it'll take time for your brain to catch up to your body. you're still in super loss mode. it will eventually slow down and you'll come to terms with yourself. 

as for people making comments, many people might not be comfortable mentioning your weight. those who don't know you had surgery may wonder if you're sick. i had a friend who discreetly pulled me aside at a dinner party because he didn't know i had surgery and was afraid i had an illness. 

--Christina
PetHairMagnet
on 9/30/13 12:19 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Holy goodness--YES you are expecting too much. That is AMAZING. 60 lbs in 10 weeks!? You are losing SIX POUNDS A WEEK on average and you think it is not enough? 

Have you set up time with a therapist to talk through this? You should be THRILLED, not disappointed, IMO. 

And as far as someone saying anything-try opening up the conversation and see what happens. I shared here that folks were not saying anything and some wise folks further out in post-op than I am reminded me that there really is no nice way for someone to say anything.

Situation 1: Complimenter: Hey--you look great, you've lost a lot of weight. Recipient: No, I weigh the exact same (or worse) I have gained a few pounds recently

Situation 2: Complimenter: Wow, you have really lost weight, you look great. Recipient: Good to know I did not look so great before.

SItuation 3: Complimenter: You look wonderful in that fitted suit! Recipient: I need to file a sexual harassment complaint with HR. 

Once I opened the door by saying things like "I love that sweater, Mary. Where did you get it? Now that I am losing weight I need to get some new clothes and that is my style!" you'll find they will dive right in with a response a majority of the time!

Also, I was advised that there are people who did not see your weight, they saw YOU and the person you are inside and it is harder for them to see the physical changes because they have always viewed you as the person, not the body. 

Hope this is helpful. But DANG girl...60 lbs. WOW! I'll give you a virtual high five from here!!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

scoobyluvr1
on 9/30/13 1:48 am
RNY on 10/21/13

Awesome Response :)

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views