BROCCOLI IS THE DEVIL!!!!

charlem
on 12/6/13 4:38 pm - GA
RNY on 12/27/12
Omg so it's been about a year since my surgery and I purposely haven't eaten broccoli because I've read it could cause pain. Well I figured since I'm so far out that I could try one of my favorite snacks which is broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach dip ...... Needless to say IT IS SO NOT AGREEING WITH ME!!!! PAIN OHHHH THE PAIN !!!!!!!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS GUYS I'M REALLY SUFFERING OVER HERE

Dee.spunk
on 12/6/13 8:59 pm - Sacramento, CA
If it's pain because of the gas it causes, honestly the best advice I can give is let it out! As gross as it sounds, just go and fart. Brocolli just gives me major gas.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

charlem
on 12/6/13 9:05 pm - GA
RNY on 12/27/12
No not gas but rather the feeling that my insides are doing gymnastics!!!

cajungirl
on 12/6/13 9:32 pm

It's probably gas related try some gasx. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/6/13 10:32 pm, edited 12/6/13 10:32 pm

I am 5 + years out and some raw veggies are just not on my list. I can eat them cooked, and even the not too much.

Gas-x, warm water, digestive tea, ginger tea, massage you belly, and hope for good BM..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 12/6/13 11:34 pm - OH

I'm sorry it doesn't agree with you.  I've never had any trouble with broccoli and I can eat a fair amount of it, cooked or raw.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pamkb
on 12/6/13 11:58 pm - Crestview, FL
Broccoli IS devil's candy, for sure. In my book anyway.

I am sorry you are in pain. Broccoli, raw or cooked, does the same to me. Walking and GAS-x is the only thing that relieved the pain and knots for me. 3 years out and I avoid it like the plague. It is the only vegetable that affects me this way.

I hope you are feeling better!

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

Curious77
on 12/7/13 12:05 am

This makes me nervous. I am a vegetarian (have been for 6 years). I have not had surgery yet. Did you get bypass or lapband? I really love broccoli it is the main veggie I eat. Can I take Beano or add beano to food? Does that really work. I want to be prepared for when I finally get surgery.

pamkb
on 12/7/13 12:18 am - Crestview, FL
I wish I had better news for you I had bypass. Pre surgery I never cared for raw broccoli but enjoyed it steamed or sautéed. Unfortunately, something in its chemical make up doesn't do well with my stomach acids post-op. But read the others' post. Some do well with broccoli and have no issues.

I can't speak for beano, I never tried it. But make sure that it is on your doctor's approved med list.

Broccoli is the only vegetable that does not work for me. I love vegetables and have recently started a primarily raw diet and have a green blended drink daily with no issues. I can even do cucumbers & celery which creates bad gas in other people. Kale, spinach, beets, cucumbers, carrots, ginger, and citrus are all part of my regular diet with no issues at all.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

hero01
on 12/7/13 3:00 am

Beano does helpm but yes, Broccoli is something that makes me very ill. I'm 10 months out and can't eat it, or really many raw veggies, a salad with lettuce, carrots, broccoli and celery had me in so much pain I had to go to the emergency room. I really was ready for a salad, had tried one and 6 mos with the same result. I keep beano with me most of the time now. 

Most Active
Recent Topics