Newbie Q on Wt Loss expectations and food options

AliciaG_RN
on 3/2/14 4:14 am
RNY on 02/12/14

Hi Everyone,

I am just over 2 weeks out from RNY. It has been a rollercoaster of a ride but getting better each day. I have just started my Stage 4 diet and am at a loss on what to try and eat. I am afraid to eat anything! Suggestions??

Also, I am so unsure of what to expect for wt loss. I know it isn't set in stone anywhere but feel what I have lost so far is not great. I am having what is probably an irrational fear despite this it won't come off. The 2 week mark had me down to 195..a 10 lb loss. Normal? What should I expect as I start adding solids? Freaking out a bit....

poet_kelly
on 3/2/14 4:44 am - OH

I don't know what your stage four is.   doesn't your meal plan give you suggestions for what to eat?  Why are you afraid of eating anything?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AliciaG_RN
on 3/2/14 4:50 am
RNY on 02/12/14

Stage 4 is approx week 2-week 6. Intoducing solid proteins.  I have tried Egg Beaters and cheese.  Today I tried Tuna.  Luckily all went well. 

momjan
on 3/2/14 5:17 am - Canada

Good questions from Poet Kelly but you didn't answer them. Follow your doctor's plan, or call them if you are unsure of anything, eat your.  Everyone's weight loss is different just as everyone's body is different....... drink your water.  Exercise and take your proteins and vitamins.

karenp8
on 3/2/14 5:12 am - Brighton, IL

Don't be afraid to eat,you will most likely do just fine. My surgeon says 3 to 5 pounds per week is normal and you are on the high end of that so doing great! It's a learning game but just follow your doctors plan and you will do fine.

Jules0225
on 3/2/14 6:01 am, edited 3/2/14 6:02 am

All I can say in regards to eating is follow your plan. If you're unsure call your surgeons office. Every plan is different. As for weight loss, some weeks you'll lose a bunch, some weeks nothing. That's just how it works. I was told that if you take the overall average of your weight lost versus how many weeks it took to lose it should be around 3-5 pounds per week. Also how much you have to lose makes a difference too. If person A has 200 pounds excess compared to person B who has 100 pounds... 50% of person A is going to be more in actual pounds than person B. My best advice to try and keep your sanity: don't compare yourself to other people and follow your surgeons plan. Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. It's not going to happen overnight. 

Congrats on your surgery, welcome to the losers bench and cheers for your continued success and weight loss!

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

Sherrie P.
on 3/2/14 11:52 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Expect to stall next week (dreaded three week stall) and if you do - do not freak out!!

Your weight loss will vary based on how much you have to lose, how many calories you eat, how much of a deficit you create with exercise.

My best advice is don't expect to evaporate over night.  Just because XXX lost 67 pounds in 2 months doesn't mean you will or if you don't you are not successful. Comparing yourself to others will make you crazy...and so will weighing every day.

Figure out what your goal is ...normal BMI? A certain size? Keep your eye on the prize and go for it!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

dohabarb
on 3/3/14 12:19 am - Qatar

I am also just 2 weeks out from RNY and I felt the same way about my weight loss this morning. I was even thinking this morning in the shower that maybe the surgeons didn't actually do anything... but then I realised how ridiculous that thought was. I'M going back to work tomorrow and I hope some people notice something - I have lost at least 6kg's (sorry, I don't understand pounds) and the tailor had to take all my clothes in so I know I have lost for sure! My ankles are definitely smaller, I can zip up a pair of boots now that I couldn't before I told myself that I am going to just have to accept whatever weight comes off and how long it takes - I really want my mum to notice when I travel home for the summer in July/August!!

I am not really able to contact my doctor or surgeon so am kinda relying on what I read on this forum. So far I have been fine with everything I have tried. Scrambled egg, most orange vegetables pureed, homemade applesauce. Tonight I had ground chicken and puree veg and all seems fine.

We should stay in touch as we are surgery buddies!!

Going it alone in the Middle East!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 304 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?