Honeymoon period?

Katie B.
on 3/18/14 11:10 am

When did  your weightloss honeymoon period end? When did you stop losing?

poet_kelly
on 3/18/14 11:47 am - OH

I stopped losing about 18 months out.  I'm not sure exactly when the honeymoon ended.  Did it end then?  How do you know it's ended?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gbsinsatx
on 3/18/14 1:49 pm - San Antonio, TX

I had the RNY Gastric Bypass procedure done on 03/22/2010 at 281 pounds. I lost 50 pounds 3 months prior to my operation on a 1200 calorie eating plan designed by myself. My starting weight was 331 pounds before the 50 pound weight loss. 

I reached my goal weight of 141 pounds on 6/23/2011. 

I was eating 2000-2500 calories a day from July 2011 to September 2012. 

Since October 2012, I now eat 1650-1800 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 193 pounds at a weight of 138 pounds. My height is 5'3.5". I am now 59 years young. 

I figure my malabsorption of calories began to come to an end in September 2012.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Gayle M.
on 3/19/14 1:49 am - Jacksonville, AR

It was 9 years ago that I had my surgery. I stopped losing after about 12 months. I lost a total of about 120 lbs during those first 12 months. I was very thin and down from a size 22/24 to a 2.  I stayed at that weight/size for about 16 months and then slowly starting to gain weight, which I needed. I put on about 25 lbs over the next 2 years and I have pretty much stayed there ever since. I occasionally loose 5-10 lbs then put them back on. I eat pretty much anything I want, just small portions spread out over the entire day. I have trouble eating bread, steak, pork and white meat chicken, which tends to be dry. I am lactose intolerant now so I use Lactose free milk for making ice cream. Tastes great! I drink all day long to stay hydrated. I don't seem to have any trouble maintaining my current weight. I wish I could afford surgery to remove excess skin from my stomach, thighs and upper arms. I would most likely weigh about 20 lbs less and wear 2 sizes smaller if I could. Oh well, I keep playing the lottery and wishing, lol. If anyone has any questions regarding anything to do with being 9 years after surgery, just ask, always happy to help.

slrm2m2
on 3/20/14 2:37 am - Canada

Just wanted to say that it sounds like you have done so well long term post-op.  Very inspiring...thanks for sharing this!

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

slrm2m2
on 3/20/14 2:41 am - Canada

Just wanted to say that it sounds like you have done so well long term post-op.  Very inspiring...thanks for sharing this!

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Gayle M.
on 3/20/14 11:54 am - Jacksonville, AR

I think it comes down to eating small meals all the time. I do not ever eat a large meal. Even though my pouch has increased in size after all these years. I cannot eat a lot at one sitting and never try. Breakfast is one scrambled egg, 1 piece or bacon or 1 pancake, 1 sausage link. I do not eat cereal and I can't eat anything with sugar in it until after about 3 pm or I get sick. I eat lots of protein and almost no carbohydrates. For dinner, something like a BBQ chicken leg, a deviled egg and maybe a small salad. I eat whatever I want basically, just not a lot of it at one time. I snack on a piece of cheese or a celery stalk with peanut butter. I do not drink anything but coffee in the morning and ice tea all day long. I haven't had a soft drink, beer or anything with bubbles in it since my surgery. Bubbles are my enemy, lol. Can't handle them. I think that has been the key to me staying at this weight for so long now, about 5-6 years so far. Eat small portions, only snack on protein, I lived off beef jerky and snow cones the first summer after my surgery. I was dying of thirst and could not drink enough to satisfy that thirst but eating ice seemed to solve the problem.  I have found for me, that if I snack on nothing but protein, nuts, cheese, beef jerky, maintaining my weight isn't a problem. I eat cake and pie and stuff like that, but only small portions and only in the afternoon/early evening. I drin**** tea constantly, I think that helps too. I've never met anyone from around here as far out from surgery as me. Most everyone is 5 years or less and most of them are eating too much. Hope this info helps.

AlohaJen
on 3/19/14 8:56 pm
RNY on 09/05/12

Congrats on your weight loss !  I am exactly 18 months out now myself.  I was 49 when I had the surgery and will turn 51 later this year. I see your amazing results that you are keeping, and I was wondering about exercise?  Do you exercise and if so, how much and how often?  I get down alot that I pretty much have seemed to have landed at about 188 lbs.... which is a 100 lb loss from where I started.....  I go up or down within a 2-3 lb window each week, but never more either direction... My husband keeps reassuring me that at my age, I may not have the same stats as a woman in her 20's or 30's.   Any advice you can share would be appreciated.  I went from a size 26-28 to a size 14 and feel great, but there is that old negative part of me that is ashamed that I didn't lose more?  Help?      Thanks for listening !!

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

gbsinsatx
on 3/20/14 12:27 am - San Antonio, TX

Hi AlohaJen!

I have never participated in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. I walk as much as possible. Everytime I try to set up a walking schedule, my knees let me down due to pain from being bone on bone. I am still trying to get a doctor to consider knee surgery. I keep running into the obstacle of “being too young” for surgery.

I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. I eat at least 100 grams of protein a day. I eat dairy products that are no fat/low fat. I eat simple (dairy, fruit) and complex (beans, vegetables, whole grains) carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams). I also eat eggs occasionally. I take all of my supplements and drink 64 ounces of liquids minimum. 

I have not had plastic surgery, nor do I plan on having it. Yes, I have some stretched skin on my abdomen and thighs, but not enough to warrant the pain and expense of surgery. At my age, if a potential suitor can’t deal with physical flaws, then move on down the road...LOL 

I honestly feel that because I have always followed the rules, that I am a Vegetarian, and that I never restricted my calories to an extreme during the “Honeymoon” period, is why I am so successful. Yes, exercise is important for health, but I do not believe the emphasis should be put there for weight loss. Also it makes me cringe when I see others “eat back” their exercise calories.

Hope this helps! Please see my profile page if interested. 

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

kisersassy
on 3/18/14 3:26 pm - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12

I stopped losing after 7 months post op RNY. Havent lost an ounce since. Surgery was 10/29/12. started at 287 got to my lowest 180 and now am 195 at 18 months out

Most Active
Recent Topics