Did any of you have to stop taking water pills after your surgery?

mama_dee54
on 5/20/14 8:13 am

I read somewhere that you are not to take water pills after this surgery. Just wondering if any of you were told that.

Heather B.
on 5/20/14 8:19 am - Wyandotte, MI

Yes, my doctor said dehydration is a big concern. My edema lessens every day and is nearly gone now. I am three weeks out. The lack of salt and amount of water we drink should hep with it.

Heather B. 
VSG on 11/28/11
Revision to RNY on 04/28/14

Heather B.
on 5/20/14 1:33 pm - Wyandotte, MI

I never had high blood pressure so, that maybe why my doctor didn't replace my lasix. 

Heather B. 
VSG on 11/28/11
Revision to RNY on 04/28/14

Kimberly K.
on 5/20/14 8:31 am
RNY on 03/21/14

Yes, I had to stop prior to surgery due to risk to kidneys. Your doctor will be asked to substitute with another medication. Mine did and post op I just stayed on the new medication. There was no mention from my surgeon that I would have to stop the diuretic forever post op though. I suppose it would depend on what diuretic you are taking and how high of a dose you are on. Mine was a very low dose.

Kim K.    

christyhall
on 5/20/14 9:13 am
RNY on 04/28/14

Yes. My primary doctor switched me from hydrochlorothiazide to an increased dose of lisinopril (both blood pressure meds) a couple weeks before surgery. The hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic and my doctor and surgeon did not want me to be dehydrated after surgery. Immediately after surgery I was able to stop the lisinopril as well because my blood pressure was good. :)

RNY on April 28, 2014 with Laura July at Unity Hospital in Fridley (Twin Cities) Minnesota.

Starting weight in October 2013: 350 lbs. SW: 275 lbs. CW: 242 lbs.

karenp8
on 5/20/14 11:05 am - Brighton, IL

I was on a blood pressure medication that contained a diuretic and was switched to a form without the diuretic. I have no problem no with edema.

Needanewbeginning
on 5/20/14 11:43 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Yes, your internist will have you stop these the day of surgery. 

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

mama_dee54
on 5/20/14 8:13 pm

I am looking forward to any pills gone . Thanks your responses. Sounds like the surgery might help my swelling too.  

SkinnyScientist
on 5/21/14 10:04 pm

I did.

They made me quite about a month before surgery

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 5/21/14 10:06 pm

one yoru chip substitute question, which I wrote too but then had computer problems and now cant find.

HI as mentioned before I have PCOS.  

I really really craved carbs.

I never thought i would be able to give up white bread/bread/crackers when I got PCOS. it was hard, but I found a way to make my own low carb chips with seeds and dehydrator. Also, use your oven or dehydrator to make KALE chips.  They look freaky, sounds weird (really WHO LIKES KALE!?!?!?...I didnt even like it juiced) but when it gets salt and parmeson and other seasonigns on it and baked/dehydrated, something happens to it where it tastes good!

Also something like, sliced cucumbers, carrots and celery, for hummus or tazakki. I think these would be wonderful. But obviously, they dont taste the same as a chip!!!  :(

A few weeks after surgery you will be on liquids and soft foods.

Rather than look for a chip substitute, how about using this time to remove this food from your diet?  The only reason why I suggest this is: that pouches are small and you are going to have a hard time getting the nutrients/nutrious foods that you NEED in.  Rather than to "waste" an eating opportunity on nutrionally poor chips, you may want to focus on nutritious food. 

I totally get chip love. I totally get wanting substitutes. I wanted to do this too (because I also craved carbs).

You will be AMAZED at how quickly you will lose weight in the beginning. And for some people their taste buds "reset" when they are liquid pre and post op  portions of their diet. I was lucky. My carb craving went away and my taste buds reset

Also, after surgery, you may be a dumper.  The substitute, olestrol (sp), may send you running for the bathroom (it made oprah get diaherria!).  I am blessed enough to be a puker. The ice cream/chocolate/sweet things that I loved and craved before make me barf now.  I tried a BITE of cobbler when out with the fiancee and inlaws.  It put me in the bathroom and the restaurant. It was weird because the whole meal did not come up. Only the cobbler part!  My main meal either went through the stoma, or my little pouch just threw out the portion it didnt like. But I learned my lesson, especially when the waitress came in and asked if I needed "help" (liek a was a common drunk or something). Some folks at work are like, "Try again after you heal more."   Um, no.  I am a fast learner!  ;)

Also, your attitude may change towards these foods. In the first few days of surgery you will lose POUNDS per day. You will feel like the weight loss version of Cinderella. Then it will slow down to POUNDS per week. And then slow down to just one or two pounds per week.  Most patients have a goal weight in mind. If you do, do you want a junk food chip substitute, to prevent you from reaching your goals?  When I saw how I was losing and how I was FINALLY getting somewhere for all the effort put in, I decided never to let a junk food pass my lips again.

I cleaned out all substitutes for chocolate and candy bars I couldnt have (i.e. the weigh****chers low point bars..even granola bars)

If I got preachy/up on my soapbox, I did not mean to.  What I meant is: things are really going to change for you soon and you may not even crave/want chips.  

But you ARE thinking ahead, trying to improve your life NOW and in the future, and that is really good and smart.

But give yourself a chance to get unaddicted to the chips.  

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !