BACK TO WORK AFTER RNY

Eno
on 6/4/14 11:26 pm - ocala, FL

How was getting back to work after gastric bypass ..? How soon can you go back ? My job is a desk job for a medical emergency office there is running around. I cant be out that long.

Toni4321
on 6/4/14 11:49 pm

Hi,

I am 7 weeks post op and the doctor originally gave me 2 weeks off work.

At the end of two weeks I was having dizzy spells and so tired I knew I couldn't make it through a day at work.  He gave me any extra week and it made all the difference.  The first week back it was hard to get through the entire work day.  I was exhausted.  After that I felt much stronger.  Just depends on how fast your body recovers.

Hope this helps.

Caroline K.
on 6/4/14 11:51 pm

My surgeon had me take 4 weeks off, though I have a desk job. I have to say, though I probably could have gone back earlier, I did like having the time off to get used to food and nap regularly. I still find myself getting tired on occasion and I'm 6 weeks out.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Dcgirl
on 6/5/14 12:00 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

From what I can tell, it really varies widely by person.  I am young(ish) [mid-30s] with no co-morbidities.  I had RNY on Monday, was home Tuesday, could have gone back on Thursday but waited until Monday.  So I was off for 5 days.  But by Thursday I walked to the grocery store, and on Friday I went out with friends to a bar (didn't eat or drink, obviously, but sat outside and enjoyed the unseasonably warm day on the patio).

When I did go back on day 7, I had no trouble getting through the day.

Again, it can really vary, so don't listen to any of us.  Perhaps ask for 2 weeks off and then if you can go back earlier, awesome.

Eno
on 6/5/14 12:11 am - ocala, FL

Thank you everyone for writing me im 22 years old i feel like i can do it. hate being away from work.. and i just got a raise so kinda dont want to let them down taking a long time off DCGIRL you are bad ass!!!! You are one strong women..  

White Dove
on 6/5/14 12:02 am - Warren, OH

I had RNY on Tuesday and went back to work the following Monday.  But I could have gone back sooner.  For me, having RNY was about as difficult as having a root canal.  I was tired for a few days, but quickly rebounded. 

I think going back to work kept me from lying around and telling myself I was sick.  Moving around is a good thing.  I prepared my protein shakes and took them with me in a cooler.  I did not tell anyone at work about my surgery except for my supervisor and the people in HR who take care of sick leave.  Everyone else thought I had been out on vacation. 

I had worked with the same people for 20 years and I was always on a diet of some kind, so nobody questioned the protein shakes or lack of eating.  I had a desk job, but it required a lot of walking around during the day.  I did not have to lift anything heavy.  I was more tired at night for a while, which my surgeon said is a side effect of the anesthesia.

My surgery was uneventful with no complications or problems.  I had prepared for problems and was approved for six weeks of sick leave if needed.  I was happy that I did not need it.  Everyone's experience will be different. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Eno
on 6/5/14 12:14 am - ocala, FL

Thanks white dove Wow..  its not going to be hard at all from what it seems i do not want to lay around i want to act like nothing happen you guys are so strong thanks so much

HFA70
on 6/5/14 4:00 am

Including surgery day and the weekend, I had a total of 10 days off.  My boss and co workers were and continue to be very supportive.

I work in the medical field also, I did what I could and rested in between.

Good luck!

Eno
on 6/5/14 4:06 am - ocala, FL

I love it thank you thats amazing i thought i was going to be laying around in pain.  Im so ready now. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views