9 months and STUCK

jamien6901
on 6/8/14 10:47 am

Let me say first off I love my tool and if I never lose another ounce I am still glad I have it but at the same time I really want to use my tool the fullest especially during this first year.  I had surgery 9/17/14 and so far have lost 116.  Starting weight 264 current 148 and I am 5'3".  My doctor told me before surgery he thought I would end up around 150.  At that time I told him if that happened I would dance in his office I couldn't ever remember being that weight.  I am there now and would LOVE to lose another 18 pounds to put me at a healthy weight and I have heard so much about bounce back weight at 2 years I really like the idea of having a cushion.  Unfortunately I have been stuck bouncing the same 5 pounds around for four weeks now.  I don't know if this is just a plateau or I need to change some things up.  I have been getting anywhere from 600-850 calories a day I saw my general practitioner last week and she recommended upping my calories to 100-1200.  This sounds good but is a little scary.  I always get at least 75 grams of protein and usually over 100.  My carbs I try to limit to 20 but sometimes it gets as high as 30.  I was just wondering what some opinions were on calorie count at 9 months out.  I walk 2 miles a day and am planning on incorporating weight training as soon as I am release from hysterectomy surgery.   Water and vitamins are both good.  I have looked at my post surgery information and it really doesn't go past 6 months.  If you made it all the way reading this I would really appreciate any advice you might have, THANK YOU!  

babs_02
on 6/8/14 11:07 am - NY

I am approaching 21 months out. I stopped losing at 9 months out. I was a bit depressed with this because I wanted to lose another 30 lbs. It isn't happening. I think I should have lost more but then again I am 61 and have a weak heart so I can't be in a gym working out like the rest of the people on the boards. I do walk and stay active. I have lost 84 lbs and would be much happier dropping the rest. I am not satisfied with the loss and keep trying. My dietician said I should be eating 1000 calories. I stay around that or under but still can't seem to lose. I am hoping it just comes off over time. I haven't gained anything and I am still following my plan exactly as it's written. I feel good and I am more active so I guess I should be happy with it. I'm not giving up and will always be thankful for what I did lose. Before this surgery I couldn't lose 10 lbs. let alone 84.

gbsinsatx
on 6/8/14 11:49 pm, edited 6/9/14 12:34 pm - San Antonio, TX

@ babs_02: If interested, please see my profile page regarding my RNY weight loss journey.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Sherrie P.
on 6/8/14 12:36 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I was eating 1400 calories at 9 months and working out and kept losing. I would not be afraid to up your calories - what is the worst that could happen? You could stay stalled or gain? So then go back.  If you are truly doing as well as you are on your diet, then I would listen to her.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

White Dove
on 6/8/14 7:58 pm, edited 6/8/14 7:58 pm - Warren, OH

Your doctor told you that you would end up at about 150 because he knows what to expect from RNY surgery.  People lose about 100 pounds in about one year. 

Anything more is gained by eating less calories than you are burning.  You will learn that you will maintain 150 pounds eventually at about 1500 calories a day.  Going to 1000 would give you 500 calorie deficient a day and one pound a week in lost weight.  That will result in eighteen pounds off in eighteen weeks.

The best way to get out of your current "stuck" is to increase exercise, along with counting calories and tracking your food and weight. 

It is an excellent plan to get rid of another eighteen pounds to allow for bounceback.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

birdiegirl
on 6/8/14 8:01 pm

I would stay the course and hang in there.....are you measuring yourself?  have you lost inches or clothing sizes?.....

Many have stalls that last over 4 weeks.....and you have had great loss in 9 months....your body may be just taking a little break ........maybe try what your surgical center is suggesting and add a few hundred calories....or vary your caloric consumption daily.......I would just be careful at going too high too fast.....and changing a stall to a set point.....your stats of eats look good to me.....get your water in and be patient

Also....I just re-read your post and realize you have just had surgery.....give yourself some time to heal and rest.....and dont be surprised if you gain a little from the surgery and hospital stay.....

Hang in there

karenp8
on 6/8/14 10:26 pm - Brighton, IL

I think I was eating 1200 to 1400 calories,working out and losing weight at that point. I agree with your center:add a few more calories.

SkinnyScientist
on 6/8/14 10:52 pm

I would try:

1) eating low carb. Just meat and low starch veg (like broccoli) for a week or two and see what happens. No fruit (it has sugar). 

2) I would walk LONGER (i.e. more miles) and throw a lot of really big long hills/inclines in the route.  Consider a heart rate monitor and keep your heart rate in the target zone during this walk. Consider those weighted bracelets for hands and ankles to help you achieve a target heart rate.

3) When cleared for intense workouts, bring weight lifting to build muscle (and burn calories) back into the routine. Start light. 

4) when cleared for intense workouts bring in tae-bo, total body combat, and step aerobics. Things that will really make you sweaty and will give you a "wiped out feeling" for about 20 minutes afterward.

Good luck!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

gbsinsatx
on 6/8/14 11:48 pm, edited 6/9/14 12:35 pm - San Antonio, TX

@ jamien6901: If interested, please see my profile page regarding my RNY weight loss journey.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

ceemree
on 6/9/14 11:03 am
RNY on 01/07/14

Why do you keep posting the same thing over and over?  Obviously, if they check your profile the first time, they definitely won't be checking it the third and fourth time.

HW 232 Preop 215 CW 142 GW 134

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?