5 days Post Op

Blueiiis
on 8/16/14 10:55 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Aug 11 was my big day, had RNY surgery. I have to say, I feel pretty darn good considering I just had a major surgery.  Today I took my kids back to school shopping, was out for 4 hours walking around (taking breaks here and there, and on the car riding to different stores).  I also am back at doing housework (boooooo) I haven't taken any pain meds since Thursday at 11pm, not even Tylenol!  My husband says I am pushing myself too much, too soon, but I am not having pain. A little sore on one side, but seem to be healing ok.

Its not all fun and games, I am finding getting protein in a real challenge as I dislike the shakes I have, and haven't tried the powder yet - the smell of the container when I opened it made me gag :( 

i find sleeping difficult - when will I be able to sleep on my side again?! I end up in the lazy boy around 3am as I don't like sleeping on my back.

I am so glad to have had this surgery. 

Awillis
on 8/16/14 5:02 pm - Richardson, TX
RNY on 08/28/14

Congrats on your surgery!  Mine is on 8/28/14.  I found a lazy boy just for that reason.  I had an open VBG in 2003 and lived in a lounge chair.  This time around with my RNY I am prepared, lol.  I am amazed at how well you feel and hope I feel the same.  What protein drink are you using?  Preop I am using Protein Plus, I tried Bariatric Advantage and it just did not agree with my taste buds.

catijoefarm
on 8/16/14 9:41 pm
with

congrats!  I had surgery on August 11 also - your story could be mine.  No real pain, hubby says I'm doing too much, oy vey!  Yeah, the protein drink, which was tolerable before surgery, is now disgustingly sweet.  Going to GNC today to see if they have any non flavored ones I can add to water, tea, broth, etc.

I am able to sleep on my side now, couldn't for the first couple of nights.  I think it all depends on where your incisions are, and how much extra weight is pulling on them when you go onto your side.  Have you tried putting a pillow under your side to help prop you up?  When I had my c-section I did this and it helped tremendously.

Good luck on your journey!

karenp8
on 8/16/14 10:42 pm - Brighton, IL

Glad to hear you are doing so well. I had very little pain when I had my surgery two years ago. Make sure to put your protein drinks in a cup with some sort of lid with a small opening gso you can't smell it quite so much. Also try propping yourself with pillows so you can sleep on your side somewhat. It may take some experimenting to figure out where to put them,but it really helps. Just keep following your doctors directions and walking and sipping liquids and you will do great!

Kirstin S.
on 8/17/14 2:18 am - CT

I had surgery the same day. I'm not doing as much as you are, but I am feeling really good. The only way I can get my protein in is by blending skim milk with ice cubes and then add the protein powder. It tastes much better then just using a blender bottle. Ugh, sleep, I am a stomach sleeper so it is really had to adjust to sleeping on my back. If you find an easy way to sleep, let me know!!

Highest weight: 296- Consult weight: 292- Surgeons goal: 167- My goal: 145 Hight 5'5. Had RNY on 8/11/14

LittleMikey64
on 8/17/14 12:33 pm
RNY on 08/06/14

Congratulations on your successful surgery.  I had mine August 6th and I am feeling great as well.  I left the hospital on the 8th.  Three days later I was able quit my pain killers.  I've been lucky, my surgeon promoted me to soft foods on the 14th.  I'd been on the shakes at least part time for the past three months so I had just about lost it  So no more shakes for me!

I started sleeping on my side about a week after the surgery, but I'm sure that results may vary.

Good luck and I'm glad you feel better!

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.  Saint Francis of Assisi

Bluckylady1963
on 8/17/14 6:37 pm - Canada

Hi all

First time on the message boards and first day home.  Can't sleep, I get a headache when I lay down.  Any ideas on what can help?

mg22fpb
on 8/17/14 7:09 pm

I am 3 days out and struggling with headaches also.  I switched to liquid Tylenol and trying to drink fluids and take vitamin supplements. It has helped a little. I am also very hungry.

Blueiiis
on 8/17/14 11:35 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

The pain medicine can cause headaches as a side effect, which is part of the reason I stopped taking them so early - my head was killing me. 

All I can offer is to sip LOTS of water, and move around as much as you can. Hope the headaches go away for you both.

on another note - I woke up sleeping on my side this morning - first night that I stayed in bed for the night and I feel great! 

Bluckylady1963
on 8/18/14 1:26 am - Canada

Hi all

Drinking more liquids did help get rid of my headaches.  Spoke with the dietician today around getting a different multiviatmin.  Today no headache, feels so good.  I am able to sleep on my side as well but I am ok sleeping on my back with lots of pillows. too

Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics