Really Frustrated

Kate M.
on 8/26/14 9:32 pm
RNY on 08/08/14

Hey y'all,

I'm three weeks out of surgery... and I haven't lost any weight since I came home from the hospital. In fact, today I was up two pounds. I'm really frustrated and I'm really not understanding what's going on. It's not like I don't have 150 pounds to lose - so what gives? 

Can anyone give me any hope? :(

ladygodiva1228
on 8/26/14 9:45 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

You were pumped full of fluids and gas during your surgery.  Some lose nothing the first few weeks until their bodies get things sorted out and then bam you start dropping weight.  You need to be patient.  Did your surgeon not inform you that you might not lose for a few week?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Kate M.
on 8/26/14 9:49 pm
RNY on 08/08/14

No; in fact, my surgeon and his office told me I'd be down more weight by now. :/

I hate feeling like I'm wasting my time which has been my problem with every other weight loss attempt I've made, and now I feel like I've spent 10k for the honor of nothing. 

AnnyBananny
on 8/26/14 9:53 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Kate, a stall somewhere around this time is SUPER normal. I came home from the hospital up, then lost a few pounds, then in weeks 2 and 3 pretty much didn't move. It is SO frustrating, but ride it out, work on your fluids, and you WILL start losing!

Let us know how you do.

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Kate M.
on 8/26/14 10:41 pm
RNY on 08/08/14

I've certainly heard that before; the stall is pretty common. But really bothers me is the *gaining*. :/

Ocalasam
on 8/26/14 10:34 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

If you are following your program, the weight will come off.  You are also considered a "lightweight," I believe, so don't be shocked and disappointed when you end up being a bit of a "slow loser."  I started at 256, I was a slow loser, but in the end.  I am 20 months out and I now weigh 115, well below goal.  Keep in mind that it's not a race.  You'll see people on this board drop some serious numbers, and it's frustrating, but everyone is different with how they lose.  If you have a lot more to lose, you lose more quickly.  My advice to you right now is to try to increase you fluids if possible.  You're probably retaining water.

Dartmouth
on 8/28/14 5:44 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Thank you for your post....I too was a lightweight and am older and  definitely a slow looser which is so discouraging ...it is good that it eventually comes off!

thanks for the encouragement !

yankeescl
on 8/26/14 10:52 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

Hang in there Kate!  The same thing happened to me!  I actually had a 4 week stall, and my NUT was coming down on me HARD.  The stall broke and I have been losing weight consistently since!  I am actually way below what my original goal was.  Please try to be patient.....it WILL happen!

Kate M.
on 8/26/14 11:08 pm
RNY on 08/08/14

Thanks for your support, it means a lot to me. :)

karenp8
on 8/26/14 11:29 pm - Brighton, IL

Hang in there Kate and I promise the weight will come off. I had lots of problems with retaining water and swelling right after surgery. The key was to drink more. The more you drink the better your kidneys function and the more fluids flush out. I lost slow at first too and started at 265. But I still managed to get below my goal of 140 down to 120ish. I ended up losing my weight by one year and have stayed at 120 for a year now. Follow your doctors guidelines,find some exercise you love(mine is walking!)and drink plenty of fluids and you will do just fine!