Having Roux-En-Y surgery December 19..

countrybella
on 10/27/14 5:20 am - Ashton, Canada

Hi all,

I have been going through the pre-weightloss journey for about a year and a half now - seeing doctors, nutritionalists, behaviouralists, etc. I am 29 years old, approximately 300 lbs, and hoping to have kids after the surgery (after the recommended waiting period of course)!

I have been following your posts for quite some time now and finally decided to join today! My surgery is scheduled for December 19, 2014. I am extremely excited, but am very nervous as well. I am looking for any insight as to what I might need to get prepared. I am flying to Jamaica to get married in November, and the day after I return I start the shakes for 3 weeks, followed immediately by the surgery!

Is there anything that you would suggest having on hand or at home? What kind of protein powder to buy, any tools that may be helpful, anything that you found that helped you recover? Treadmill? Foods? etc. I am open to any suggestions and any advice!

VERY APPRECIATED! :-) THANKS IN ADVANCE!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/27/14 8:20 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Welcome!

I wouldn't stock up on too many protein powders.  Tastes often change pretty dramatically after surgery -- so it's better to wait to buy large sizes.  You could start collecting samples of different kinds.  I am very partial to the Nectar brand.

I use my food scale every single day.  A good digital scale for weighing yourself, is also nice.  A treadmill is nice (I love mine) but not necessary.  

GOOD LUCK!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

selhard
on 10/27/14 2:10 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Tips and advice:  Unjury brand protein powder sold in single-serving envelopes, shaker cup to drink protein mixtures from, use child-size utensils on a six-inch plate to eat food with, four pillows on your bed to help with sleep positions, lots of warm clothing, chewable papaya enzyme to help dissolve meat if you get a "stuck food feeling" in your pouch, a journal to write down daily food intake, supplements, exercise, water intake.  I found pregnancy and child-rearing to be a challenging experience thinking it would have been especially hard to follow the strict post-op regime I do now.  Blessings for extra strength to find and keep success going in your journey.

karenp8
on 10/28/14 8:17 am - Brighton, IL

You've gotten great tips above. I would add measuring cups to the list too. I would also recommend cutting out caffeine slowly now as most doctors at least want you to limit its use after surgery. My doctor allows one serving of beverage with caffeine per day. That way you wouldn't have that to deal with after surgery. Beginning to exercise now is also a good idea so you can begin to form new habits of eating and exercise right now. Good luck on your journey and keep us posted.

momjan
on 10/28/14 3:15 pm - Canada

Just read through the site applicable to your surgery, then the recipe sites.  Then go onto the internet and read all kinds of different sites for different views, sources, information, support, recipes.   That's what I did because I went out of country for surgery and did not have a real support group, except one monthly one, nor a nut/dietician to refer questions to.  I got so much information and found SO many sites with good bariatric recipes.....ie bariatricfoodie.com, theworldaccordingtoeggface.com, bariatricgirl.com just to name a couple off the top of my head.  I probably had or have 20 sites bookmarked for days when I want to think outside of the box.  The more you read, the more you understand.....the more successful you probably will be.

countrybella
on 10/28/14 10:40 pm - Ashton, Canada

Thank you all so much for your advice and tips about what to have on hand, it is very appreciated!

I will keep you all posted as I continue on my life changing journey! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Most Active
Recent Topics