Have band...possibly revising to RNY. Looking to hear from others who've done this

sqlchick19
on 11/6/14 2:24 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Hi Guys.

I'm have a few questions for those who've gone from the band to the RNY.  But first let me ramble...

I was banded in 2008, lost about 80 lbs...but was totally band bulimic the whole time.  Eating and throwing up, because I got stuck almost every meal.  I was told by my doctor that I was eating too fast and/or not chewing well enough...which is possible but not always (I vomited on frozen yogurt!).    I started waking up choking, etc...had the band loosened, gained a little, had it tightened, stop gaining.   I always said that I loved my band...even if I fought with it...because I loved the fact I'd stopped gaining weight.   In 2013, I got a very bad stomach virus and literally could not throw-up (nothing would pass up through the band).  I was violently dry heaving...ended up in the ER - and had the band emptied.  I was so scared to have it re-filled after that  I kept it open for a year...and ended up gaining 60 lbs.  I've since tried tightening again..but I get stuck/choke on everything...so it's pretty much open now.  My doctor said that he thought I should get it removed and get the by-pass.  I had wanted the sleeve...but after going for a second opinion...and a esophogial manometry...it turns out my esophogus is very weak and doesn't fully empty...and the added pressure the band is causing is making it worse (and I'd have the same issue with the sleeve).  Here are my questions:

Is getting stuck with the RNY the same feeling as the Band?

Does anyone else have a weak esophogus...and if so, did you see improvement with the RNY?

I'm so scared about the malabsorption with the RNY - and long term effects of not getting enough nutrients...and terrified of getting stuck, since it was such a big issue with the band.

Any help/advice/input would be great.   I remember how awesome these boards were when I was researching the band...I can't believe I'm doing this all over again! :(((

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

teri0021
on 11/6/14 2:39 am - Arvada, CO
RNY on 08/25/14

Hello!  Sounds like you've had quite a time.  I had a band for 9 months.  Lost 124 lbs.  It eroded into my stomach so I had to have it removed.  That was back in 2009.  I just had RNY surgery on August 25th.  It has been awesome!  I've lost 70 lbs., and keep losing. Following the rules is the most important.  I had a lot of scar tissue and pretty fragile tissue after they fixed everything, but my pouch is strong.  I can tell!  I love my choice....hugs!

Teri 

sqlchick19
on 11/6/14 2:49 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Thanks Teri!  WOW...124 lbs in 9 months with the band is awesome.  Did you get stuck with the band?  Just wondering if its the same feeling as getting stuck with the bypass...

carimiller9173
on 11/6/14 2:39 am - Wilmington, DE

I'm revising from the sleeve to RNY.  Just wanted to wish you the best of luck!!

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

sqlchick19
on 11/6/14 2:47 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Thanks!  Just wondering...why are you revising?  (I'm so jealous of people who can do the sleeve...)

carimiller9173
on 11/6/14 3:58 am - Wilmington, DE

My body stopped losing regardless of how much or little I eat at 55lbs gone.  I track everything on MFP, and just don't feel this is working for me.

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

sqlchick19
on 11/6/14 9:46 am
RNY on 12/15/14

I've heard that some people lose nothing with the sleeve...so at least you're down 55.  Best of luck!  Maybe we can be newbie RNY pals?

karenp8
on 11/6/14 3:12 am - Brighton, IL

I've never had the band but had RNY 26 months ago. People rarely get food stuck with RNY but it a seems to be a big problem with the band. Very rarely people will get food stuck if they barely chew their food. If you follow your doctors directions ad take your time when you eat,you should have no problems. I have never had food stuck,but managed to get below my goal weight in about 8 months and have been there ever since. I lost 145 pounds and have been obese my whole life. I am thankful for my surgery every day!!

Sherrie P.
on 11/6/14 11:22 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Hey there!

I am a band to bypass revision.

No No No NO NO!!! It is NOT the same with RNY. It is a totally different surgery and you won't feel that horrid choking feeling any more. I wanted the RNY - not the sleeve because I felt like the malabsorption would help me to lose the weight.

I am so very thrilled with the revision. I wish you the best of luck.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

sqlchick19
on 11/6/14 11:43 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Thanks so much for your reply, Sherrie!  I wanted the sleeve because the nutrient malabsorption scares me...but it's not an option so I'll have to deal.  I'm so glad to hear about the stuck...what does it feel like with the bypass?   It's torture w the band...I'm almost completely open, and I got stuck again tonight.  It's miserable.  Is there anything else that notably different for you?  Why were you revised?

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 364 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 279 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 212 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 302 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 128 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?