snack ideas?

catalina07
on 1/4/15 10:50 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

In my plan we are supposed to eat 6 times per day. 3 meals and 3 "snacks". kinda just like 6 tiny meals. Does anyone have some great ideas that they use for snacks? High protein, no or very low carbs, taste good.  Just looking to mix it up. Thanks.

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

karenp8
on 1/4/15 11:46 pm - Brighton, IL

Some of my favorites: string cheese,whole grain crackers with peanut butter,jerky,Greek yogurt,apple with peanut butter to name a few.

catalina07
on 1/5/15 2:17 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

peanut butter isn't loaded with carbs? I assumed it was!

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/5/15 3:20 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I personally would never ever eat crackers (aka CRACKers), apples nor regular peanut butter.  I do use dry peanut butter -- it's fabulous and mix it with some greek yogurt to make a nice high protein snack or a dip for my son's apples.  

I like string cheese (80 calories/1 carb/6 protein), Light and Fit Greek Yogurt (80 calories/9 carbs/11 protein), 1/4 c pistachios in shell (80 calories/4 carbs/3 protein), 1 oz bacon jerky (110 calories/1 carb/11 protein), 5 ****tail shrimp with tbs of sauce (100 calories/7 carbs/10 protein), deviled egg half (70 calories/1 carb/3 protein)

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

karenp8
on 1/5/15 5:06 am - Brighton, IL

Peanut butter in small measured amounts is a good source of healthy fats and whole grain crackers in moderation(talking 2)  are a good source of fiber. I'm not talking daily or large amounts and if you can't do moderation,then by all means stay away! I am 28 months post op and 25 pounds below goal for the last 20 months.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/5/15 5:26 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am not criticizing you nor your food plan.  I personally would not and do not eat crackers.  I'm also not concerned about fat, I am concerned about the sugar in peanut butter.  My food plan from the Cleveland Clinic does not include these things -- and I answered about myself and my plan.

Congratulations on your success.

karenp8
on 1/5/15 7:39 am - Brighton, IL

I agree. Each of us have to eat in a way that we can have success. My plan allows measured regular peanut butter and crackers are not a trigger food for me. I am able to eat 100 calories worth and stop.I can't eat protein bars because they are a trigger food and I would over eat. We each have to know our limits and find a balance that works for us. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/5/15 10:15 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

That's great.  It isn't a trigger for me either.  It simply isn't on my food plan and since the OP asked for very low/no carb options -- that is what I responded with.  The Cleveland Clinic discourages all processed white flour carbs such as crackers and peanut butter as it is high in Omega 6 fatty acids.  I can eat peanuts as well as nuts and seeds -- just not peanut butter.  This is part of their metabolic diet as I am a former insulin dependent diabetic.  

I am glad it works for you, however. Obviously, my plan has worked for me, too.

catalina07
on 1/5/15 8:38 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

I see, thanks!

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

karenp8
on 1/5/15 7:07 pm - Brighton, IL

Two tablespoons of peanut butter which is two times what I eat has 180 calories,8 grams of carbs of which only 3 grams of that are sugar and 7 grams of protein. Measuring is very important but unless you have problems sticking to your measured amount peanut butter is not evil and is a good source of healthy fats.