what was your hardest struggle pre-surgery?

twinmom914
on 1/12/15 6:40 am

I am following the 1200 calorie diet for two weeks per dr orders. I have no problems eating in order (protein, veggie, bread, fruit), no problem holding off drinking until 60 minutes. my biggest problem is giving up coffee. I tried today and latest until 230 when I went and got a small cup from the office kitchen. I am down from drinking three-four a day to one, but to give it up cold turkey is killing me :(  I have decided next week to cut half decaf half regular

RNY - 11/18/14 2 hr info class, 11/20/14 referred to GB, 12/4/14 phone interview w/psych, 12/16/14 4 hr orientation, 12/30/14 hr psych visit, 12/30/14 visit with surgeon & given goal weight of 248, 12/31/14 nutrition class HW 257 Dec2014, SW 3/12/15 243

NYMom222
on 1/12/15 7:05 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Applaud yourself for cutting back on the coffee! Not all surgeons even require you cut it out. Don't beat yourself up. It will happen. I think my biggest struggle pre-surg was just dealing with my head and my emotions,... am I doing the right thing?  I had 2 pre-surg diets..one for weight loss and one with liquids and liver shrinking. Did I do them perfectly? No. Did I abandon ship and drastically cheat? No. I had a few items on my 'farewell tour' to food and then during the liquid we were allowed one meal of meat and veggies a day. Some days I had 2 meals of meat and veggies. I still lost 25lbs pre-surg and am almost at my 6 month anniversary. it has been good.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

STB
on 1/12/15 8:43 am
RNY on 07/21/14

My doc wanted me off caffeine so I started brewing it with a combination of caf and decaf gradually decreasing it to just decaf. Even so, I had a wicked migraine the day of surgery post op which I know could have been caused by other things but I would wean off the caffeine if possible. I loved iced coffee and now post op, I can't stand it!! LOL

SHARON  

Berryhoosier
on 1/12/15 9:12 pm
RNY on 12/17/14

Good job on working on the caffeine now!  I gave it up about 3 months before surgery.  I missed it for about 2 months.  Now I don't crave it, but it does take a while.  Once I hit 3 month out, I'm allowed to have it again.  But I figure now that I've "detoxed," why bother?  The hardest part for me pre-op was 2 weeks of protein shakes.

soozy_q
on 1/12/15 9:58 pm
RNY on 10/20/14

I gave up caffeine prior to my pre-surgery diet.  It was a tough week...3 day headache.  I got through it by taking naps when I could and a steady dose of ibuprofen.  The week long preop liquid diet was no picnic, but I was relieved that the headache was gone.  I am now coming up on 3 months post op and do have caffeine now and then, but not like I used to.  Decaf is not too bad.  :-)  Good Luck!