Is it worth it?

suzanner15
on 7/30/15 12:14 pm

I'm one week out from RNY surgery and doing pretty well.  I feel like I sit a lot.  A little worried about a blood clot forming if I don't move more. 

There is a little voice in my head that just can't believe I went ahead and did the surgery. Please let me know it's worth it.

Thomas H.
on 7/30/15 12:54 pm - Saint Petersburg, FL

I'm six weeks out from my surgery, even though I have a long way to go. I can already feel small changes in how I move and function, I know for me, it's worth it. Because if I had not done something, I was going to be in big trouble health-wise very soon. 

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." - Alexis Carrel

auntmimi
on 7/30/15 12:54 pm

Its worth it! In the beginning I had that whispering doubt that I had made a mistake. Your body is going thru TONS of changes and your mind is too. If ever youre looking for support (as long as your making positive choices) or have questions you are on the right site! Just keep to plan and it will be ok. 

killinmesmalls77
on 7/30/15 6:01 am, edited 7/30/15 6:02 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I am almost 3 months post-op. I came home from the hospital on Mother's Day weekend. What is normally a weekend dedicated to all the fun places I like to go and eat, this year I laid on the couch resting in between walks while we watched TV and movies. All of these food commercials were on and I remember thinking "what did I just do to myself?" and "is rearranging my entire life and guts going to be worth it?" I absolutely had "buyers remorse" for an afternoon. Then I snapped out of it and realized, that I was in charge of making this surgery and my life "worth it".  

There is so much support on this site and I can promise you all of the regular posting vets will tell you that the surgery is worth it and their lives are so much better because of it. But it takes work, they won't sugar coat it and say it is going to be easy.

Hang on to their words of encouragement and wisdom, that is what I am doing. So far, it has been worth it to me. I've been able to sit in a booth at a restaurant again, fit into a movie theater seat with room to spare, and in a month I am going to be on a flight to Florida, where I won't have to worry about the seat belt fitting across my belly or spilling over into the seat next to me.  

Keep on walking, you'll feel better if you do, and keep drinking your water. Those two things will make all the difference. 

Best wishes as you move forward on your journey. You are worth it!! 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

chris_ruff
on 7/30/15 1:11 pm
RNY on 04/07/09 with

undeniably YES.

--Christina
iloveravens
on 7/30/15 1:13 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

I had major buyer's remorse in the beginning too.  I kept thinking "Why didn't I try Weigh****chers one more time?" But once the weight starts dropping off, those feelings go away quickly.  If you're like most of us, this will be the best decision you've ever made.  Hang in there.  Keep walking and sipping.  Each day gets a little bit easier than the last.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Emiepie
on 7/30/15 1:46 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Someone said the exact same thing about weigh****chers during support group this week.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Emiepie
on 7/30/15 1:50 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Each journey is of course different, but I do not regret my decision at all. I have had to remind myself a few times along the way that my body moves at a faster pace (meaning loosing the weight) than my mind (still buying XL clothes long after I needed them.) Good luck.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

burghblonde
on 7/30/15 3:05 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

It will get better every day!! I think that questioning what you have done is normal...just like having that pre-operative doubt is normal that so many feel. I can tell you I wouldn't change a thing. I feel fabulous and have had so many accomplishments in the last year that I feel empowered to take anything on. You will get there...and you will be so happy!

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

karin602
on 7/30/15 3:11 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Definitely worth it. Feels great to put on clothes that look nice and fit well. Health benefits abound. No more sleep apnea no more insulin or other diabetic meds. Thinking after my last blood pressure checks may ditch that med too. 100/58 today. Wish I could get rid of the lupus but that's a whole different issue. Now I have to stop going into kohls and buying clothes! They have so many nice things on clearance racks in small and 4. Hard to resist a $40 pair of pants for $4. Good luck on your journey. Try to get in your walking even if for ten minutes each hour. 

Karin

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?