TMI...GasPains

braebre0308
on 8/24/15 4:56 pm

I am 3 days post-op. I feel like I am having gas pains in my stomach and intestines. It is like I can feel it moving through my body and it hurts. Is that normal? Is there anything else I can do in addition to walking to get relief. I also was wondering when I could expect my first bowel movement.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” -Theodore Roosevelt

NYMom222
on 8/24/15 5:02 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes gas is normal, My big gas day was day 2 after surgery... yes keep walking... you are only drinking liquids so there isn't much to have a BM with.... so it varies.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

braebre0308
on 8/24/15 5:06 pm

My surgeon has me on a thin pureed diet. Unsweetened applesauce, sugar-free jello, cream of wheat, etc...

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” -Theodore Roosevelt

iloveravens
on 8/24/15 6:06 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

One thing that really helped me was to sit on the toilet, raise my arms up, and so little side crunches...sounds goofy but it really did help the gas move around.  I also used gas-x strips.  Good luck.  I don't think I had my first BM until day 7 or so. Feel better soon.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/15 6:51 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Gas-X was my savior at that point. I still have bad gas pains daily.

losing_to_live
on 8/24/15 9:49 pm - DC
RNY on 10/28/14

I was advised to stay away from gas x and things of that nature because it is relief once the gas is there. However, I was prescribed omeperazole to PREVENT the gas from even affecting me. Being that I was on liquids those first few weeks, I was allowed a tablespoon of unsweetened applesauce to take it. I had to open the capsule (being that you're only days post op and swallowing pills) but I had to open the capsule and stir the pellets in the spoonful. So in addition to walking around the house the omeperazole really helped me. 

HKT53
on 8/24/15 10:21 pm - Toronto, Canada

It sounds like you had quite a time mixing pellets in the spoon of applesauce. I took those little plastic 30 ml cups that look like shot glasses. I took two espresso spoons of applesauce which was to the 15 ml line and opened the capsule on top of applesauce. Then I stirred the meds into applesauce. Now somebody tells you. Or did you know that all along? Lol

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

losing_to_live
on 8/24/15 11:03 pm - DC
RNY on 10/28/14

No it doesn't sound like I had quite a time mixing the pellets. I simply opened the capsule over the spoonful of applesauce and swallowed it. Not sure what you're talking about.

rocky513
on 8/24/15 11:28 pm, edited 8/24/15 11:29 pm - WI

Omeprozole ( Prilocec) is a proton pump inhibitor used for acid reduction and will not prevent gas.  As a matter of fact, excess gas is a side effect of taking omeprozole.  Here is a link to the info on omeprozole.

Gas-x will work on gas trapped inside your digestive tract, but not on the gas that is pumped into your abdominal cavity to perform surgery.  I found that walking is the only way to really move it out.  A heating pad helps with the pain.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

losing_to_live
on 8/25/15 8:00 am - DC
RNY on 10/28/14

I don't need a link for a medication that a medical professional put me on thank you.  If you wish to leave a solution to her initial question at hand then do so, don't come replying to what I said especially if you didn't read it clearly. I never said it prevented gas I said it PREVENTED the gas from AFFECTING ME as far as severe discomfort. When acid is kept down your chances of swallowing as much are lessened/air intake/ causing MORE GAS. Maybe YOU  should lookup what acid can cause. I also never said gas x wouldn't work, that is for immediate relief once you're already in pain. Which is why I mentioned walking to her way before this blog was even posted. All that air from being pumped up for surgery has to be released regardless so technically NOTHING will PREVENT it because it has to be released at some point no matter what. It's about the level of pain and can be done to alleviate it. Y'all love coming up behind a response vs. just responding to the question asked. If you feel like the information given is wrong/inaccurate then say that in your own reply.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views