Is it "normal" that some body parts lose faster?

mute
on 10/31/15 3:46 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I returned some clothes I had bought on clearance earlier in the year this weekend. I thought I would like them when they finally fit me and I just didn't. But I had the receipts so I wasn't out anything. But I needed pants because mine keep basically falling off my hips. I actually bought my first pair of pants from the "regular" sizes! I haven't done that since I was 16 and I'm 33 now! And I actually bought a size L because the XL were still a little baggy so even more yay.

But while I'm ridiculously excited about that - my top half is not losing like that at all. I'm between a 1x to 2x right now depending on the shirt material. My upper arms are a big hindrance and a problem area that haven't lost much and while I'm not super concerned about my top half keeping up with my bottom half because I'm proud of the 111 pounds I've lost and know I'm continuing to lose, I also don't want to be totally unbalanced. I've always been pretty even overall. AND when I am done losing I would like to be able to shop in one store not two (plus for tops, regular for bottoms.)

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/31/15 4:03 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Yes, unfortunately it is normal. Depending on your shape and body type, you can lose faster in one area than another. I was/am the opposite of what you are describing (I am a natural pear shape) - and I lost from the "top down" -- and it sounds like you may be losing from the "bottom up"

Good news is that it tends to even out eventually. I am still smaller on the top (size 2 to 4) and bigger on the bottom (6 to 8) -- but it's far less than it was half-way through. There was a time I was in normal sizes on the top but plus sizes on the bottom still.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 11/1/15 8:12 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm hoping that it evens out - I don't mind buying things in different sizes on top and bottom as long as they're from the same store!

NYMom222
on 10/31/15 4:56 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My bottom half lost faster, which was weird because I am/was pear shaped. It seems to have evened out now, although because of my batwings the arms of some shirts can be a problem.... only surgery will change that.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mute
on 11/1/15 8:15 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I am worried about my arms because they're so large. If I end up with batwings from losing I do plan on having plastics there because I know I'll need it with the weight I carry there already. But I'm not losing there, I measure my arms and I'm losing a tiny bit but that's it. So it's really preventing me from going down in sizes. Not so much worried now but worried about it preventing me from going down in size later down the line.

sweetpotato1959
on 10/31/15 7:20 pm

Yes! you are totally normal. The first weight you gained will be the last to go... i noticed mine first in the face, knees, feet! Just stay your program ...til you get where you want to be..Enjoy your new you!... Isn't it awesome to be able to buy clothes and not wonder if they will be too tight... ?

Blueeyednikki
on 10/31/15 7:40 pm - Canada

My right leg is noticeably larger than my left. My surgeon said it doesn't melt evenly but not to worry, it all catches up at the end.

Referral - Jan 2014, Orientation - June 2014, Appointments - Sept to Dec 2014, Surgery April 22, 2015

G2GAWAY
on 11/1/15 12:54 am
RNY on 05/16/15

Someone posted a while back that you lose weight distally and gain weight proximally. That has definitely been my experience. In the early weeks my face and arms showed the loss first. I remember someone saying to me that my arms were thinner. And I was thinking...geez...that is the last place I need to lose it. But now, I've had to get rid of suit jackets because they are two big in the shoulders and arms, so I know I wouldn't fit in smaller sizes if I had not lost in my arms. Also, I have lost weight in my legs, hips, and butt, but the weight is staying in my abdomen, which makes it tough to find pants that fit well. I, too, am still a bit unbalanced (bigger on top). I figure it will all sort of redistribute over time. For now I am just happy to be losing, regardless of where I'm losing it from.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Laura in Texas
on 11/1/15 6:17 am

Yes. Very normal. Hang in there. You will lose more in all areas and if it does not even out, you can always have plastic surgery later to balance things out.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/15 7:43 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I can't say if it's "normal," but it's certainly what happened to me. I also lost a lot faster on the bottom than the top, with a big part of that due to my now hilariously flabby arms. There was a period of time when I was wearing 2-3X tops and 12-14 bottoms. Even now I wear medium-large tops but own two pairs of pants in a size 4. (Not that sizing means much -- I have pants in sizes 4 to 10 that all fit.)

Most Active
Recent Topics