Preventing Hair Loss

LookinToLose2016
on 2/4/16 2:47 pm
RNY on 02/18/16

I'm having surgery soon and am a bit concerned about hair loss.  I have fine/thin hair so I'm worried that if I lose too much I'll look bald. I'm not worried enough to not have surgery as my overall health is much more important.  Just curious if anyone has any input on whether anything can be done to help prevent it?

Deanna798
on 2/4/16 3:16 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Unfortunately,  I don't think that there is anything to stop it from happening,  but I have heard that keeping your protein up and taking your vitamins may help to minimize it.  

I'm 6 months post op and is still coming out,  but not nearly as much as it was a month or two ago. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Shirleyislosing
on 2/5/16 9:44 am
RNY on 07/27/15

prenatal vitamins, Flintstone complete vitamins, and Biotin

sweetpotato1959
on 2/8/16 9:25 pm

Zinc cold eze losenges worked for me. Have used for 20 years and it always stops the hair loss.

Denise
LookinToLose2016
on 2/4/16 3:26 pm
RNY on 02/18/16

Did you have significant hair loss to where it was really noticeable?

Emiepie
on 2/4/16 3:27 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I started to have hair loss around month 4-5 and it lasted a few months. I used the opportunity to go for new style and donated 13 inches of hair. After it was shorter I stopped washing it daily and for me that seemed to help. And once it was shorter it didn't seem as traumatic as when it was longer and would fill a brush every morning. On a good note, my new now even shorter hair came in kinda curly. Something that was important for me to understand that the reason for the hair loss is that new growth is coming in thus pushing out the old hair. Good luck.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

LookinToLose2016
on 2/4/16 3:30 pm
RNY on 02/18/16

Thank you! I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best....on the bright side, if too much hair falls out and I need a wig I won't have to spend half an hour washing, drying and curling my hair everyday!

jenorama
on 2/4/16 5:43 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I think you can minimize it by keeping up on your protein and vitamins, but you can't really prevent it.  The hair loss is more of a reaction to the surgery and anesthesia called telogen effluvium and it is definitely shocking to suddenly start losing handfuls of hair.  Mine started about 4 or 5 months after surgery and lasted for a good 6 weeks, but I had a lot of hair to start with.  You might have a discussion with your hairdresser on a style that can help disguise hair loss.  Just don't get the Trump cut!  :D

Jen 

poet_kelly
on 2/4/16 6:46 pm - OH

Hair loss can happen after any major surgery, due to something called telogen effluvium.  Basically at any point in time, about 10% of your hair is in a "resting phase."  It rests for a few months, then falls out.  It's normal, people typically lose something like 100 to 150 hairs every day.  but the general anesthesia makes more hair than normal go into the resting phase, morel like 30%.  So a few months after surgery, you lose more hair than  normal.  You can't prevent that.

If you don't get enough protein or develop vitamin deficiencies, you can lose even more hair.  That you can prevent by following your doctor's recommendations for protein intake and vitamins.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hollykim
on 2/4/16 6:48 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 4, 2016 at 10:47 PM Pacific Time, LookinToLose2016 wrote:

I'm having surgery soon and am a bit concerned about hair loss.  I have fine/thin hair so I'm worried that if I lose too much I'll look bald. I'm not worried enough to not have surgery as my overall health is much more important.  Just curious if anyone has any input on whether anything can be done to help prevent it?

Google "telegenic effluvium". It is caused by a stress to the body like surgery and anesthesia. 

There is nothing to stop it,it just has to run its course. I have never seen anyone post a bald pic yet.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 495 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 352 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 435 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 398 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 105 views
Recent Topics