Need some guidance/advice - almost 4 years out

SkinnyDipper
on 3/20/16 4:45 pm - Canada

hi all - I'm sure this is asked all the time so I apologize in advance if I'm a broken record. at my heaviest I was 290.5 and at my lowest 190 and was so happy there. That took about 10 months to get there. Since then I have met the lovely my life, switched jobs twice, moved, and now trying for a baby. 

In the past 2 years since meeting my husband I have gained over 30 lbs and I completely disobey the rules. I basically forget what to do and how to do it and can't find any of my paperwork. 

Couple questions: is it possible to get back in track and have my RNY work for me again and what steps would you recommend to get me there. I'm so upset with myself for letting myself gain the weight and am hoping I'm not too far gone. 

Hope everyone is having an awesome Sunday!

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/16 5:04 pm - CA

The farther out we get the harder it is to lose regain, but with changes and dedication, it can be done.   The surgery is a tool and we have to work it to be successful.  

I would suggest you start journaling your food, weigh and measure it as needed so you can see exactly where your calories are coming from.   Cut simple carbs and any sugar and focus on protein and non starchy veggies to keep you satisfied.

There is a forum called "Back on Track" you can use the magnifying glass above to search for it.  A lot of people who are in the same boat interact there.   

I hope this is helpful!  Good luck! 

Nik

rocky513
on 3/20/16 5:11 pm - WI

It's never too late, but it won't come off as fast now.  You need to eat a protein forward diet.  

Meat first, and then non-starchy veggies if you have room for them.  

Limit your fruit to one serving per day, and keep in mind that a serving is 1/2 an apple or 4-5 strawberries.

NO PROCESSED or SIMPLE CARBS like bread, pasta, rice, crackers, sugar, potatoes, cookies, candy, etc. Eat whole natural foods.  If it comes in an un-refrigerated box don't eat it.

DON"T DRINK WITH MEALS or for 30 minutes after.  Drinking with meals is the biggest reason for weight gain.  It allows you to eat more in one sitting and you don't have pouch restriction.

DO drink at least 64 pounces of fluid daily.  Thirst often mimics hunger.  If you feel hungry, try drinking something first.  

DON'T drink your calories.  Liquid calories will not leave you feeling satisfied because they flow right through your pouch (no pyloric valve) but your intestines will absorb EVERY calorie.

Eat a very small meal (200+/- calories each) every 3 or 4 hours.  Anyone can wait a few hours before they eat again. If you feel hungry between times, IGNORE IT!  Hunger is not an emergency.  Nothing bad will happen if you force yourself to wait until your next scheduled meal time.

Don't use your stomach to tell you when you've eaten enough.  It LIES.  If you eat until you feel full, you've eaten too much.  Measure your portions out and then STOP EATING.  Many people use fitness apps to keep track of their calories.  Try to keep your calories under 1000 and carbs under 50.  Protein should be around 70 grams daily.  I have to eat around 120 grams of protein to keep my numbers up.

Take your vitamins and get labs done yearly.  Vitamin deficiencies are not something you want to deal with.  You will need to adjust your vitamins to your lab results.

You can do this!!!!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Amy R.
on 3/21/16 6:09 pm

If you eat until you feel full, you've eaten too much. 

This.  I cannot tell you how valuable it is to remember this at all times.  Doesn't mean I've never eaten too much because I certainly have.  I feel so much different when I  follow this as a primary guideline.  I don't get sick, I don't gain weight, I don't need to take naps after meals.

Besides, eating that one extra bite (and most of us can tell exactly when one more bite isn't a good idea) can make for some very uncomfortable moments.
And to your original question:  Yep we sure can lose any regain and sometimes even more.  But we must eat in compliance with the recommended plans which are 99% dense protein first.  I have re-gained twice. One 40+ pounds and the next time 50.  Re-lost the weight both times and at a little over 7 year  out am currently at my lowest weight since surgery ever.  By close to 10 pounds.  Don't give up!

seattledeb
on 3/21/16 8:46 pm

Rock star Amy!

Amy R.
on 3/23/16 1:54 pm

Thanks Deb!  I feel so loved!  lol, really though - you made me laugh this morning and I needed it badly.  =)

seattledeb
on 3/23/16 2:51 pm

If you eat till you feel full you've eaten too much 

Thank you so much for that. It's rattling around my brain looking for a place to stick. It's very good advice for me.

The Salty Hag
on 3/20/16 5:49 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Everything that Rocky said. 

You'll have to white knuckle the withdrawl from carbs, it'll be a tough 4-7 days, but it's really the only way to get back on track. 

Once you've gotten them out of your system, you'll feel A LOT better. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

seattledeb
on 3/21/16 1:32 am, edited 3/20/16 6:37 pm

You can "not know the rules" and continue to gain weight.

You had major surgery on your intestines. Eat protein. Don't drink with your meals. Come here every day and post. You are past the honeymoon stage so it's not going to be magic weight loss. It's gonna take mindfulness and work.

I know. I'm there now. 

Deb T.

acbbrown
on 3/21/16 9:02 am - Granada Hills, CA

I regained 90lbs and have lost 45 in a short period of time. Follow the rules...you can do this. 

Just some tips from how in losing the regain 

• completely abstain from all added sugars , flours and personal binge foods. 
  • Make a meal plan and follow it - I do 3 meals and 1 snack a day 
  • do not graze - do not eat any time other than meal times
  • plan and commit your food in the AM so that way you are not making compulsive decisions. 
  • Do not drink your calories 
  • build a support network of people you can reach out to instead of reaching for food
  • move - both for physical and mental benefits. I don't do strenuous activity but most of the time, just walking the dog at least 2-3 miles

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?