Major regrets and depressed. Need help

Sally146
on 5/8/16 1:33 am

I just had my mini gastric bypass one week  ago. I am self paid and had to travel to a near by country to get it done since at my home country it's only offered for BMI 40+.
Initially I had discussed gastric sleeve with my surgeon and had already read so much on gastric sleeve and was just mentally and physically prepared for it. I have a BMI of 33 (pre-op BMI) weight 77kg and height 153cm. I also have PCOS and insulin resistance. I have 1 child who needs BMT and that has to come from a matched sibling donor. So not only that I want to have another child I need another child to save my child. After many failed IVF cycles I decided to take a drastic measure and go for Bariatric surgery to help me lose weight and fix my PCOS.
So the surgery day came by and right before my surgery my surgeon came into my room to have a talk with me. He recommended mini gastric bypass which at the beginning shocked me because I always thought it's a surgery for morbidly obese patients! He said the following points:
1- mini gastric bypass has less risk of bleeding and leakage compared to gastric sleeve because the stapling line is much shorter.
2- the hype around gastric sleeve is because nowadays general surgeons and not Bariatric surgeons are doing gastric sleeve and it's becoming more available and the stapling company is paying so much to advertise for the surgery because it uses more stapling.
3- mini gastric bypass is reversable. So if anything happens we can always go back. Where as with gastric sleeve it's not reversable.
4- with both procedures patients need to take in Multivitamins but mini gastric bypass is not associated with more malabsorption than gastric sleeve. And the surgeon can adjust to some extend can modify the surgery so as to cause slightly better absorption (something to do with where to reconnect the intestines).
5- chances of regaining weight with gastric sleeve is higher that with mini gastric bypass.

6- type 2 diabetics respond better to MGB than to Gastroc sleeve

7- the % of of total weight loss is almost the same with the two surgeries

8- the chances of developing GERD following MGB is much less than with VGS. 

After that being said I don't know why or how I just agreed immediately to mini gastric bypass without further thinking. The surgeon also ordered for a blood thinning injection (heparin) prior to the operation he said to cut the risk of blood clots. He said the risk of blood clots forming is higher than the risk of bleeding, and the injection is given routinely to all WLS patients.

Got the surgery done and right after I woke up from the GA I started vomiting blood along with blood clots. Huge quantities of blood! and I was feeling severe pain. My HB dropped from 13 to 7 and was rushed to an endoscopy procedure to try and stop the bleeding and got 7 units of blood transfusion. Stayed 3 nights at ICU. My case is stable now with HB around 8.7. But I can't help but feel huge regret as to the decision I was rushed to make. 

I feel I didn't get enough time to think about the mini gastric bypass and I'm not really well informed of its side effects. I worry that I will end up losing more weight than required and would be severely malnourished. I have also read somewhere that the surgery is not really reversable since after cutting the nerves in the stomach it will be impossible to reconnect them. Yet again I have ready about people who were successfull in reversing the surgery but the process seems to be even more exhausting than getting it done in the first place.

Now I worry I won't be able to get pregnant again. And just worry about so many things. Worry what will my life be like when I grow old and unable to keep up with the nutritional needs! Was the VSG really a better option or not? 

White Dove
on 5/8/16 4:46 am - Warren, OH

I am sorry that you did not have time to learn more about the mini gastric by pass.  That being said and looking at the reasons the surgeon gave you, then I believe you did make the right choice.

The reaction to the blood thinner was terrible, but the heparin would have been used with either procedure.

The surgery is over and done with and it is time for you to work the surgery to lose the excess weight.  Your weight loss will be determined by how much you eat.  You will not keep losing unless you restrict calories to less than your body is burning.  There is no malabsorption with your surgery so it will not cause you to be undernourished.  Mini-gastric bypass can be reversed even if the vagus nerve was cut.

Concentrate on staying healthy and getting to your ideal weight.  Good luck with getting pregnant. 

I am "old", at 68 and have no problem with taking my vitamins or with eating protein forward.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

NYMom222
on 5/8/16 4:58 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I agree with everything White Dove has said. The blood loss could have happened with either surgery. Even if you got what you considered 'too thin' for a season, I have heard it said on these boards many times by vets that no one is complaining about being too thin in year 3.

I don't think your surgeon said anything that wasn't true....you just didn't have time to process it. At this stage, work with what you have got. In a few months hopefully the complications will be a distant memory and you will be excited about your new journey.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sally146
on 5/8/16 7:11 am

Thanks ladies 

I know for sure the bleeding just ha d to happen and the heparin had to be given regardless whether it was MGB or VSG.. In fact I know the bleeding would've been worse if I were to go with VGS.. My surgeon and his partner so far did around 6000 surgeries and only had 2 cases of severe bleeding. I was the second. 

I guess like you said probably I just didn't have enough time to process it all together like I did with VSG. But I'm surprised you say that I will not keep on losing weight unless I restrict my calorie intake! What I keep reading from people here and other forums is that some do actually lose more than required and have a hard time gaining the weight back. Also I have read many regrets from RNY patients because they end up severleuy malnourished and suffer from many health issues. Some even say no matter how many multivitamins they take they are still malnourished. Not sure if those are just extremes or not! 

NHPOD9
on 5/8/16 9:33 am

I'll be five years postop in August. In my experience, what you've read are extreme situations. Keep in mind that the thousands of people with successful experiences don't have as much motivation to post their experiences as those with problems. Further, malnutrition or nutritional deficiencies are easily avoidable if you are proactive about your health (eating properly, taking supplements, getting regular lab work and tracking your trends, etc), which you would have to do with the VSG anyway.

I can understand your frustration and would be angry with your surgeon. He did not give you bad advice but that conversation should have occurred earlier. Is there a reason it didn't? 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Heavens2Betsy
on 5/8/16 9:09 am
RNY on 02/29/16

BIG HUGS!  You've had to make some big decisions - and more than one!  Just know that "buyers remorse" is nearly universal - we've all regretted what we just did to ourselves at some point!  I was back in the hospital a one week post op - not as severe as your experience, but they'd given me too many blood thinners too and I had so much blood in my bowel movements and it totally freaked me out!  Hang in there - take it a day at a time.  Things do get easier!!  Just remember worrying about the future is a waste of time, nobody can accurately predict what will happen and most of the time the things we worry about never happen anyway.  Please try to let it go!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/8/16 11:46 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I think it's unethical that your surgeon on the day of surgery tries to talk you into another surgery without you even having the chance to think it over. Even more so that he tries to talk you out of a surgery & tells you some nonsense about the "hype" of another surgery., the surgery he agreed to in the first place!

Yes vsg'rs take vitamins, but its not due to malabsorption, generally we don't malabsorb but we have a protein forward diet that's for life & generally need some vitamins that we're not getting from food, mainly because we're not eating it, no room.

What's done is done  I'm sorry that you had the bleeding problem, but that could've been with any wls.

I don't know much about the mini bypass, but I didn't want a variation of bypass surgery. VSG is what I went with & while I don't have most of my stomach, I'm really not missing it. Most of the hunger hormones was taken away with the stomach, so they can keep it. Not that I don't experience hunger, but its nowhere the same as it was.

Luv my sleeve, hope you do well with your surgery too. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

crafty_gal
on 5/9/16 12:00 pm
RNY on 04/26/16

I had a gastric bypass 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and had a similar experience. I was fine for the first 36 hours and then the bleeding started and I was rushed back to the hospital for CT scans and blood transfusions. I felt fine, but was weak, lost a lot of blood, my blood pressure tanked (70/30) and I was very dizzy.

In my case, the culprit was a GI Bleed - due to diverticulosis, a condition that was dormant until the surgery and activated by the blood thinners used during the bypass. The thing is, that the blood thinner and bypass only escalated the timeline of the other condition, it would have occurred later.

Don't worry so much! There is a LOT more research on after effects of the gastric bypass than VSG, so if your surgeon suggested it, it was for good reason. Follow the instructions and after care directions of your surgeon and you will do fine. Follow up on all visits as required and things will get better.

Don't rush to "get better" and don't worry about getting pregnant... take care of yourself NOW and you'll be fine. (Easier said than done)

HW: 333 Consult Weight: 318 SW: 293

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kathyjs
on 5/12/16 11:14 am

Been on this board 14 years and I don't remember anyone having trouble gaining weight, just the opposite. I agree with your surgeon but find it strange this was discussed right before surgery ? No matter which surgery , the loss is up to you. You have to be compliant with eating plan. I did have vitamin problems but my very own fault. I got lax about taking them. My bad. I am 66 and don't regret having RNY. Good luck 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views