Tell me this is not a mistake

SiennaSweet
on 8/18/16 8:43 pm

I'm twice the size I need to be. I have done the starvation thing and kept off the weight for two years but then it wasn't worth it anymore. After years of over-eating, my metabolism has my calorie intake at 1050-1080 to maintain. I have the healthy eating thing down. I have a good exercise program but I can be much more active at a lower weight! I could keep doing the yo-yo dieting but I don't have the willpower.  I am just sick of thinking about food all the time.  From these forums it looks like I'll still be thinking about food all the time!

Just tell me it will be worth it?  I have my doctor's approval and I'm waiting for surgery appointment.  I've been told the doctor will sign a three week's FLMA. I can work from home and hope I will be able to work after a week and two weekends (if I have surgery on a Friday). Does that sound reasonable? 

Biggest worry is that I have the surgery and gain it all back anyway. Sound familiar?

CurlyCass1977
on 8/18/16 10:22 pm
RNY on 12/04/15 with

For me it was totally worth it! I think it still takes discipline and making good choices. Only you can decide if you are worth it. 

The biggest difference for me is that because I don't feel hunger in the same way I am learning more about the emotional side of eating. It truly has been amazing. I am able to control something I never thought I would be able to control.

Good luck! I hope all goes well.

RNY 12-4-15 

HW 316

Consult Weight 308 8/15/15

Surgery Weight 289 12/4/15

Current Weight 220 9/10/16

chassibi
on 8/19/16 3:24 am

Yes, it's true. I'm still thinking about food a lot. But not because I'm hungry or have cravings. Because I have to plan what I'm eating, then remember to eat, etc. I'm glad I did this. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Deanna798
on 8/19/16 5:03 am
RNY on 08/04/15

It's totally worth it!

I just posted that a few days ago.  I'm 1 year out, and I struggle with food.  I am looking at 40+ years of struggle with it, but in the end, it's worth it.  and that is because surgery gives us an advantage that we would never have without it.  If you are smart, you will be thinking about food, but in a positive planning way.  If you stay on track, you can lose the weight and keep it off.  

As for your time off, I had 3 weeks off from my desk job and was fine to go back to the office afterwards.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sarahakers11
on 8/19/16 6:16 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

It was not a mistake for me either.  I am only 3 years out so not a veteran by any standard.  However if you think about food a lot you still will.  My doctor signed 6 weeks for short term disability.  I probably could have gone back at 3 weeks easy enough but the last three weeks really got me Ina good schedule for getting in all my vitamins and nutrients on a schedule I could do a work.  

My recommendation is to be sure you find a good therapist because any underlying issues will come to a head.  For me I didn't want to go through transfer add addiction which meant dealing with anything I was hiding from.  I didn't know what my deal was but knew there had to be something and what was I going to do with all that time and brain space I spent on food.   

Feel free to take a look at my blog which is about the mental journey since my weight loss.  That's been the hardest part for me.  The blog is about to have a full relaunch on its own domain so it is not exactly like I'd want it right now 

http://thedepressedhiker.blogspot.com

i recommend you start at the beginning

http://thedepressedhiker.blogspot.com/2015/10/brain-pushups. html

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

nitethyme
on 8/19/16 6:24 am - Etobicoke, Canada
RNY on 12/18/15

I am 55 years and have struggled with my weight for almost 30 years .... but having RNY was the best thing I have ever done for myself! I am more mobile, have more energy and rarely having any cravings (potato chips were my thing and I haven't even thought about having one!) and most importantly I am happy with myself! As the others have said I do think about food but in a much more positive way ... I'm planning not obsessing about food now!  At first I was a little worried when I started this process that I would gain the weight back ... but I keep telling myself "you have not gone through surgery just to gain it back... keep looking forward to being healthy and active". (my little mantra! lol)

As for work ...I had my surgery Dec. 18/2015 and was back to work on January 4, 2016 ... my first day I was tired and I only worked half a day.  I work in an office, so that made a difference ... no heavy lifting, etc. I also work with a very accommodating and supportive work team .. that makes a difference too!

Do your research, ask questions on the forum and keep positive! Good luck on your journey.

Referral: September 2014; TWH Orientation: December 9, 2014; Social Worker: March 2015; Nutrition Class: May 5,  2015; Nurse Practitioner: May 20, 2015; Psych Evaluation: August 2015; Nutritionist: September 2015; Meet the Surgeon: November 6, 2015; Pre-Op: December 4, 2015; Scheduled Surgery: December 18, 2015; HW 367; SW 341

supershopper
on 8/19/16 6:28 am

Food issues I'm afraid will always be food issues unless you seek treatment or work through it.

I'm 8 months out from surgery. It saved my life. I had high BP, PCOS, cholesterol, sleep apnea, and my liver was starting to get damaged from being overweight my entire life from age 6. Now I can live a healthy active life. Was it worth the effort to live longer and have a better life? absolutely. Do I get a 'free pass' to eat whatever the heck I want? No.

Do I get 'head' cravings at night telling me I want to eat more food? Yes. Do I tell that head craving to shut up? Almost all the time. I will never eat 'perfect' at 'all' times. Food will always be a struggle.

I was off work 2 weeks then went back.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/19/16 6:30 am

Weight loss surgery is a tool.  Another tool we get to help us maintain. 

As long as I use it correctly - it works. Before WLS - I was very dedicated and I could not maintain weight loss... I would gain it back. 

I had some regain... But I stoped whining - cleaned my diet - and lost all my regain.

First year post op RNY - I lost almost effortlessly 100 lbs in 10 months... The regain - 25 lbs - it took me 2 years to lose it all and be able to maintain.

So far so good. But that means giving up grains, starchy veggies and dairy... Acepting that protein bars are really glorified candy bars and stop eating them.  Weighing myself daily when I am home and adjusting my diet based on that. Are you ready for that? Full commitment. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

pammieanne
on 8/19/16 6:48 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I am only 3 months out, so I'm not going to speak about the long term issues, because I haven't gotten there yet!

But I will tell you this. I am 51, work an office job with a bit of flexibility. I had one week and one day off, then worked 3/4 of a day for the remainder of the week (I came back on a Tuesday). I was fine. I would nap after work in the recliner, and I didn't do much but walk a bit for about 3 weeks. At 4 weeks, I flew from Oklahoma to Florida to visit my dad, and even got a couple of bike rides in while I was there. Again, I napped there a couple of times, but I had a good time (Oh, I also went to the beach and got in the water and got knocked around by the waves a bit - I was fine).

At 3 months, food just doesn't taste very good to me after a few bites. I drink a protein shake in the morning, and I'm just not really hungry. My BRAIN thinks I am though! LOL But I also have a very restrictive pouch - lovingly referred to as the persnickety pouch. I have lost 63 pounds in that time (9 of it during pre op diet). I feel good! Putting on smaller clothes is such a blessing!

I do know that following a LOW CARB diet, recording all of your food in something like My Fitness Pal, and doing research, keeping yourself accountable, and learning is all crucial to good success long term (I'm learning that from the Vets here!).

Good luck to you :)

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

crafty_gal
on 8/19/16 8:29 am, edited 8/19/16 1:29 am
RNY on 04/26/16

It's worth it. I had the same fear - but one of the swing factors for me was the thought that without having the surgery, I would die young. That was worth the risk. I'd rather go down swinging!

I work from home and was back at work half days 9 days after surgery. Then 2 half days and the following Monday I went back full time. Working from home was easier, especially in that first month or two when my bowels were... less predictable let's say. 

Save

HW: 333 Consult Weight: 318 SW: 293

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 215 views