Probiotics for constipation

Heather P.
on 9/6/16 11:35 am

I went in for my 6 month post op today.  Everything is going fantastic - except I have to take Miralax every day in order to not get constipated.  My dr doctor said I should NOT be taking Miralax every day and suggested I try probiotics instead, and if that doesn't work he will give me a prescription for Linzess.  

Has anyone tried probiotics for constipation and did they work?  

Also, has anyone else been told NOT to take Miralax every day?

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

jenorama
on 9/6/16 1:01 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I use a daily probiotic to keep things moving and it works pretty well.  I use the True Nature ones from Costco and have it each morning along with a scoop of Benefiber in my protein shake.  You might have to try several before you find one that works for you.  My husband finally found a good one after trying out about a dozen.  Hydration also plays a huge part.  I definitely have a harder time going when my water intake has been lower than usual.  

I only use Miralax when things are not going well, so I can't speak to the daily Miralax use, but I know there are folks on the board here who have it as part of their daily regimen, so hopefully one of them will speak up.  

Let us know how things go!  :D

Jen

Heather P.
on 9/6/16 1:13 pm

Thank you!  I bought one at the store today and will see how that one goes.  I will have to check out the one from costco too because these are expensive!  

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

karenp8
on 9/6/16 1:49 pm - Brighton, IL

My surgeon does not like daily Mira lax use either. He says laxatives should only be a last resort. He suggests probiotics,benefiber and a stool softener like Colace.

Heather P.
on 9/6/16 2:13 pm

Thank you, I am going to give the probiotics a shot!

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

NYMom222
on 9/6/16 7:35 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I have been taking probiotics from day 1 after surgery, and it is not enough. Miralax is mostly a stool softener as well with slight added laxative... not like taking straight up laxative every day. I find it the gentlest, colace always gave me gas and diarrhea, where as with Miralax, no gas and rumblings and more normal movements. 

My suggestion if you don't want to take daily... is if you don't go 2 mornings in a row, then take it the evening of the second day...I never struggled with constipation pre-surgery....but this was a whole new ball game...you have to stay on top of it....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Heather P.
on 9/7/16 10:15 am

I didn't either.  I thought Miralax was gentle, Colace does bad things to my belly so I don't want to take that, lol.   I am going to give the probiotics a shot and see if they help.  Thanks for your help!

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

crazy4birds
on 9/6/16 11:07 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I hate the way Miralax makes me feel.  I get a really weird, buzzy feeling from it.  To stay regular I use probiotics and they work for me. However I have grandchildren that have problems with constipation and their parents were all told to use Miralax daily.  Different families with different doctors.  One was adding it to the baby formula.  

Heather P.
on 9/7/16 10:16 am

Oh wow.  I didn't know babies could take it.  Miralax is the only thing that doesn't give me other side effects, lol

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

RNY on 12/22/14

You may have already examined your diet for, what used to be called "binding" foods.  Cheese, red meat, bananas.  Also not enough water or exercise.  I put some benefiber in my yogurt once or twice a week.  I have not reported it to my dr, but will when I go in for a checkup in a few weeks.

Miralax is propelne glycol that increases the amount of water in your bowels. It therefore dehydrate the rests of you somewhat. THat is a concern,

If the probiotics do not work, you may want to try a fiber based aid, that works a different way in your body and is not dehydating.

Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics