Question: Symptoms of an Ulcer? Experiences?

RNY_elizabeth
on 2/24/17 8:18 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Any of you who have had an ulcer... what did your symptoms feel like?  I have this stabbing pain in my pouch anytime I eat for the last week.  It is starting to be stabby stabby even when I haven't eaten.  Is that maybe an ulcer? It is a totally new stabby feeling.  Not one of the usual aches and pains I am accustomed to post surgery.

I have tried Googling and searching the forums and really can't find anything to give me a sense that 'yes' call your doctor or 'suck it up buttercup' it isn't a anything. Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

pammieanne
on 2/24/17 8:33 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

The only experience I have is with my 17yo daughter who suffered with one for a really long time...

Stabbing feeling just between your ribs? That's about where her symptoms were.

I wish I could be of more help! At least they should be able to diagnose it pretty easily with a scope... that's how they finally found hers (Poor child had to have her first colonoscopy because they did it along with the scope).

Hope you figure it out sooner than later 

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/17 9:09 am

go see a doc. 

Any sharp -stubby feeling indicate a problem. Can be "simple" irritation- not an ulcer yet..or it could be a bleeding ulcer... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy R.
on 2/24/17 9:12 am

Yes what Hala said.  Especially if you've had WLS you should always see a doc asap for any pain that lingers more than a day or two.  You just never know what's going on in there.

I had many ulcers.   They always burned - especially when my stomach was empty.  But we all experience pain differently.  Definitely go get it checked out or at the very least talk to the nurse at your docs office.

blueherring
on 2/24/17 9:10 am
RNY on 12/23/16

i am currently on meds to heal an ulcer. I am 2 months post-op. My experience is that I had nausea with everything I drank, including water. Food was a little better, as long as it wasn't dairy or acidic.

I didn't know I had the ulcer until I got very ill with dehydration and had a stay at the hospital. I just thought I was still healing from surgery. It is worth following up on, in my opinion. Ulcers can lead to greater complications.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Referral to Ottawa Civic Hospital in March 2016, surgery on Dec 23 with Dr Neville,

Loss so far M1=21, M2=10, M3=8, M4=8, M5=7, M6=6, M7=5

RNY_elizabeth
on 2/24/17 10:09 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Ever since surgery I can't tolerate water for nothing.  It makes me nauseous.  I can only drink warm or hot liquids without nausea. I guess I just figure that is part of the price of admission ya know?  Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think I might call the doc.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

jenorama
on 2/24/17 9:12 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I didn't have a full on ulcer, but I did have gastritis exacerbated by caffeine. I had what felt like bad gas pressure up high in my abdomen that radiated around to my left side. It would usually last for several hours and then go away with no lingering symptoms. If it's only happening when you eat, that might be something else. I'd make an appointment anyway--you shouldn't be having pain when you eat. 

Jen

The Salty Hag
on 2/24/17 9:22 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I've had two ulcers. 

My most pronounced symptom was an intense, gnawing hunger type pain deep inside my midsection, below my ribs-right in the middle of my body. It didn't radiate-that I remember, but it did start out as a mild ache then intensify over about 15 minutes, then start to lessen. Most of my attacks seemed to be early in the morning or at night.

It basically felt like Godzilla was stuck in my gut and was trying to claw his way out. It sucked. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

RNY_elizabeth
on 2/24/17 10:08 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I feel ya on the Godzilla...it kinda does feel that way. Hmm. Might give the doc a call and see if they want to check it out. Then again...it is almost the weekend...ya know...maybe putting it off is a good idea. :) I hate going to the doctor. I have things to do! LOL

Thanks for your input.

~E

The Salty Hag
on 2/24/17 3:23 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

No problem...hope you can figure out what's going on. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 345 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?