4 year surgiversary

Sarahakers11
on 3/23/17 6:09 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

For the past 3 years I have maintained my weight loss. I am up about 10lbs from my lowest. My size has maintained but I am not as boney. I am a size 8 womens down from a 29. I have worn the same seasonal clothes over the last 3 years. I do worry about weight gain and find that I can eat more than I would like. I am very active and do a lot of long hiking and backpacking.

I lost a total of 152lbs and at 16 months out had skin removal and BA.

I would say that the worst part was finding out after I had lost all the weight that I was terribly sad and had hidden years of anxiety, trauma, and ptsd under all my weight. I thought the weight was an issue but it was the symptom.

I started writing and blogging about the journey to becoming the real true me and it has been an amazing journey. I have been published a few times in The Urban Howl and my blog is doing pretty well. I like being in my body now. I move and it just feels good. I refuse to diet or exercise. I am active and I do what some people would call "exercise" but I don't force myself to do anything. If I don't feel like running or going to the gym I don't. I can dance in my living room, try paddle boarding, do yoga, chase my dog, let my dog chase me, go dancing at a local club or country bar...I just move because moving is great for processing ptsd and trauma and keeping me level.

I use to consider my weight and if I was able to do something in all my decisions. Now I just like to make sure I don't ever have to pass on a trip or activity because I am worried I physically cant do something. So I make sure I stay as active as I can for that reason. This summer I am taking a bucket list trip. I will be backpacking in the Tetons for 5 days followed by a 2 week road trip to camp and hike in parks all over Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota, and Wyoming. I will get to see everything from Mount Rushmore to Craters of the Moon, to the badlands! I really cant wait.

I truly truly love you guys. I may not comment as often as I once did but I do log in and read. I often tell people that obesityhelp.com and these forums were and still are so helpful to me. I learned more about blood work and what the numbers mean from here (which lead to research) then any where else. I use information here to have really solid and informative discussions with my Doctor and staff. From the initial thoughts through surgery, to after care, plastics, and maintenance this place has been amazing!

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

HonestOmnivore
on 3/23/17 6:28 am
RNY on 03/29/17

Your story is very inspiring! I've been working with a therapist on my marriage and then just on my own issues. I had hoped that if I could get to the root of my depression and anxiety my weight would come off. On the up side I'm thirty pounds under my highest weight, and I am at a stable (yet morbidly obese) weight. But now I'm going to get the RNY (next week) and hope this additional tool will allow me to move to a healthy weight with a sustainable life activity level.

Are you still using vitamin patches? How are your numbers?

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Sarahakers11
on 3/23/17 6:58 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I am using Tespo vitamins and patches at times. From what I understand the patches are not good if you are not at or close to your goal weight. They amount of sub-cutaneous fat can change the absorbtion. I always recommend that people start and do at least the first year on standard vitamins. The act of taking and watching and adjusting during that time is easier on standard and also you very educational. I also keep a spreadsheet of all my lab results so I can see trending and ask about it. I don't just want to know if its in the "normal" range I want to know if its steadily declining or increasing and why. My doctor is really good about it as well. I should have gone to once a year blood work last year but we did 6 month blood work anyway since I had changed to patches and we both wanted to know how well they worked. This past year is my first full year between blood draws.

Sarah

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

kerbear1969
on 3/23/17 7:20 am - MD

Thank you for your story and congratulations! I am 19 months out and its a struggle every day but I would do this all over again in a heart beat.

RNY 8/6/15 HW 304 LW 124lbs RW 165 CW 140 Weight loss stats: Liquid Pre-op -35, August-18, September-12, October-11, November-18, December-16, January-12, February-10, March-11, April -8, May-11, June-5 July-5,August-6

Kathy1212
on 3/23/17 8:53 am

Congrats on maintaining your weight loss for so long! Hiking sounds like so much fun; is it painful to carry those packs?

My goal for when I lose my weight is to be able to do bike tours. I'm going to try a short weekend one this summer, to start, even though I'm only 7 weeks post op and have a lot more weight to lose. I bought my bike last year and started riding at my highest weight, and rode almost every day of summer and fall. I loved it so much, and can't wait til the snow is gone so I can start again.

I'll check out your blog! THanks for letting us know about it, and congrats on getting published!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Sarahakers11
on 3/23/17 9:00 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Thank you!

No its not painful or uncomfortable. I mean it can be LOL. But you learn over time what gear works and what doesn't. You learn about weight distribution and how to pack the pack properly or that works for you. I still get sore at times but I bet its no different then riding a bike. At first sitting on the seat for a long time can hurt then you learn about gear and clothing and your skin toughens up. You can still get sore but its not that bad.

There is something very cathartic about backpacking. You only have to worry about walking, finding the next place for shelter and water. It takes you back to a very primitive and natural rhythm (at least it does for me) I also decided my people were nomadic and survived because 1 potato would stay on their body for a long time...so their survival helped with my easy weight gain... My people walked for food. I drove to mine and typically when I got there they asked if I wanted it supersized..and well I did..soooo.

The Depressed Hiker Blog

karenp8
on 3/23/17 9:45 am - Brighton, IL

I had to chuckle when I read your comments about your people. I can relate. Congratulations on 4 amazing years and thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Kathy1212
on 3/23/17 8:45 pm

LOL; I think I was a member of your tribe, the ones who could survive for ages on one potato, lol. I'd love to try real hiking. I go on day hikes but have never done an overnight hike, or carried a pack (I have carried a school type backpack, lol, but not the same thing).

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy