by pass in northern michigan

Troy Roberts
on 5/26/17 5:26 pm - CO

im trying to help my mother get bypass in Alpena MI . she has medicare just wondering if anyone has used medicare and how much they cover,her BMI is 49.4 ,with lots of other health conditions any help would be great . and a good doctor in the area

mschwab
on 5/26/17 11:10 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Medicare does cover bypass surgery. What is covered, and how much it costs completely depends on her policy. Does she have traditional Medicare only? Trad Medicare with a supplemental policy? A Medicare Advantage plan? The only way to know costs, coverage conditions, etc. is to call the number on the back of her insurance card. If she had traditional Medicare only, it is generally an 80/20% cost share, but that can change depending on her usage of health care services. Also, her coverage type may determine which surgeons she can see, so that is also a question for her specific carrier. Also, her regular PCP is a good person to talk to about a referral to a good surgeon in her area.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

NYMom222
on 5/30/17 2:42 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Good Luck helping her! There is a Doc from Michigan- Dr. Matthew Weiner who has a lot of You tube videos. You might find them informative and it gives his info as well.

Most surgeon's have informational seminars that you can attend to get to hear info on the surgeries as well as meet the Doc before committing to an office visit.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Jester
on 5/30/17 1:33 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I'm not sure about surgeons in Alpena as I live in the metro Detroit area. That being said, I know there are lots of good surgeons down here and if you aren't able to find one up there you are comfortable with it may be worth the 3.5 hour drive downstate. I'm sure lots of people would be willing to give you recommendations - to put in my $0.02, I highly recommend my surgeon, Dr, Weiner (who was mentioned earlier in the comments). He's a great guy and I've had tremendous success with my RNY from him. As mentioned he posts lots of videos on his site (and YouTube) that address both bariatric surgery and diet/nutrition. I highly recommend watching the videos even if you chose a different surgeon as they are informative and easy to watch.

Here are links to the videos on his site:

Nutrition Videos

Surgery Videos

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views