Blood sugar issue?

Kathy1212
on 8/21/17 11:05 am

Thank goodness you're being seen by a doctor; sending prayers that you'll feel better soon.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/21/17 2:04 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm glad you are seeing your doctor. Being unconcious for more than 24 hours is NOT good!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

White Dove
on 8/21/17 8:20 am - Warren, OH

You are very lucky that you friend found you and knew to give you sugar water. I have been diabetic for 30 years. When I had RNY, it was too late for my pancreas to function properly. I had been diabetic for 20 years then. I continued with oral medicines until last year when I was switched to insulin.

In 30 years, I have passed out twice. Once on a diet of only chicken and broccoli and once when I got mixed up and gave myself too much insulin.

Metformin can cause you to pass out if you exercise and don't eat enough to keep your sugar up.

From now on, you need to carry a meter and glucose tablets. Find out how low your sugar is going. I feel kind of bad at 50 and really bad at 30. Eating more carbs is not the answer. You need to eat protein with the carbs to keep things balanced. Your endo can help with that. The way to learn is to get a meter and check before and after meals and check if you start to feel sort of grouchy and head-achey. That seems to be your warning but it could be different another time.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

FluffyChix
on 8/21/17 9:33 am

Wow! This a thousand times! It's great info and advice!

Writergurl08
on 8/21/17 8:39 am
RNY on 02/15/18

metformin does lower blood sugar. Do you test? Even if not a diabetic per se, you may need to if you're on metformin, especially as a WLS patient who doesn't eat as much as a "normal" person.

I have not passed out for the duration that you did but thank GOD someone found you and knew what to do! I have passed out from low blood sugar, but usually my husband or a family member has been around or at least not far, and I always feel weird afterward, especially if I had to bring my blood sugars up quickly. It's like a rebound thing from your sugars dropping so low then spiking too fast. sometimes it causes a few days of weird yo-yo dipping and spiking. I usually experience Headaches, moodiness, hunger, and a myriad of other symptoms when this happens

aesposito
on 8/21/17 9:39 am

Just an fyi, usually sweet, fruity (ketone) breath is high sugar, not low... but in any case, your friend did the right thing... when not sure we always err on the side of low and give sugar, as low can kill you more quickly than high.

If you do increase carbs, always mix your carbs with a protein for slower absorption (sugar water by itself will wear off soon)... and keep it evenly spaced throughout the day. Peanut butter on bread for example, or a bologna sandwich with mayo.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

RNY_elizabeth
on 8/21/17 10:05 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I have had many patients who have suffered a diabetic coma, an episode of low blood sugar, from which they did not recover fully ever. Many injuries can occur, especially to the brain, that may be difficult to notice initially. If I were in your shoes I would go at the least to an urgent care to be checked out.

All the best to you. That sounds so scary. I hate that that happened to you.

~Elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Kathy1212
on 8/21/17 11:03 am

The exact same thing happened to my Mom (she passed out, had the same symptoms when we woke her) and it turned out she was dehydrated and had an electrolyte imbalance. She had to have a saline drip.

Can you not go to an ER to get checked?

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

cc583
on 8/21/17 2:21 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I have come close to passing out a couple times due to low blood sugar. If I don't eat at least every 3 to 4hrs I start to feel it. Low blood sugar is definitely more dangerous. Since surgery I am not taking any diabetes meds but I monitor it closely. I'm really happy that you are being seen by a Dr. Good luck with everything.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

ScaleSkater
on 8/21/17 3:26 pm
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 346 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?