Vomiting

Lishamc1
on 9/23/17 7:05 pm

I'm 12 days post op and I vomited twice today, first time was after lunch, I think I ate to fast. 2nd time was hours later and was mostly water with very little from lunch. Since the first time I only sipped on water, before both times I got huge pains in my stomach region and had lots of gurgles and burping. Any recommendations??

Highest weight: 265, surgery weight: 245, surgery date: 9/11/17 RNY m1: - 26 m2: - 14 m3: -15 m4: -10 m5: -8 m6: - 4 m7: -6.5 m8: - 1.5 m9: -3 m10: - 0 m11: - 2 m12: -0

terrylynnishere
on 9/23/17 8:09 pm

Oh no, I hope your ok, and that it was just a one day event.

Feel better .

Vertical sleeve, Sept 15

Amy R.
on 9/23/17 8:59 pm

It certainly could just be from eating too fast at lunch like you mentioned. What does your surgeon have you eating at 12 days?

Depending on what you actually ate, that still likely wouldn't explain the second episode. If it continues into tomorrow, call your surgeon's after hours line. It's might be nothing serious but this early out it's hard to tell. This is one of those times when we here on OH can't really help much - and it could be serious.

I'm so sorry you've had such a rough ride. I've read your posts since you had surgery and I just cringe for you thinking of what all you've had to deal with. Because you've already been struggling a bit this is probably something your surgeon should at least be aware of. And please if you end up in pain call them right away or head to the ER.

Take care and try not to get discouraged. You're close to over the worst bumps in the road but it's good that you're still vigilant.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/24/17 5:29 am, edited 9/23/17 10:30 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I just went back on your other posts. I saw that your NUT had suggested foods like tuna and green beans and also told you to eat until full. My surgeons office is fairly conservative, though we started with a "blended" diet right off the bat (skipped clear liquids). I couldn't have ANYTHING that wasn't blended smooth AND it had to be measured out as 2 oz until at least 2 weeks when I could add soft scrambled eggs (everything else still blended smooth for another 2 weeks). I didn't get to tuna or green beans until about 6 weeks out (maybe 8?). Perhaps your pouch isn't ready for the diet progression your NUT has suggested?

Regardless, please do heed what Amy R said about contacting your surgeons office if it continues or you are in pain!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Amy R.
on 9/24/17 8:29 am, edited 9/24/17 1:35 am

Thanks for checking the diet progression Liz =)

To the OP. I had just assumed you were still on some type of liquids, especially with all of the challenges you've had to deal with. It sounds like your surgeon has a pretty aggressive eating plan. Some do. I didn't get the ok to eat tuna and/or green beans until Week 9. I was on liquids at 12 days out.

If you're having problems with solid foods you might want to consider going back to liquids. At least until you can see/talk to your surgeon.

edited to add: I just went back and read some of your posts about diet progression. Please listen to the many, and not just the one. And I personally would fire your NUT. If you have to go for insurance reasons, go. But take their comments with a grain of salt. Eating until "feeling full" at 12 days out can send you right back to the hospital with problems even worse than what you've already dealt with. Slow down.

Kathy1212
on 9/24/17 7:37 am

I'm sorry to hear this. I agree with the others; call your surgeon's office and let them know.

I was still on full fluids at 12 days post op, so was only taking in protein shakes, water, and some broth, sometimes a medicine cup full of cream soup.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

White Dove
on 9/24/17 7:59 am - Warren, OH

At 12 days I was still on liquids. I started blended foods at 14 days. Your system is probably just not healed enough for solid foods.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

babsinga
on 9/24/17 8:11 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Howdy!

Ditto on what everyone else said. Sounds like the food may be too early. Also I found I had acid reflux still and that made me nauseous with some dry heaving. I would stick with liquids and add protein powder to soups and broth.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

Donna L.
on 9/24/17 9:03 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Diet progression varies a lot with RNY. The pouch is very fragile and sensitive for a long time. If there is pain listen to your body and take the vet's advice. Eat slower, eat more soft proteins (tuna, scrambled eggs, mashed tofu, etc).

I was still on pure liquids with a sleeve at 12 days post op. You should be eating purees at most, especially if you are having trouble. Your nerves are cut so you cannot feel overeating yet. Also, a RNY pouch is constructed, meaning there are many places for issues to occur, plus you have an anastamosis (opening) at the bottom that was made.

I am not sure what you are eating, but I would call the doctor ASAP, and focus on solid food and pureed food only, especially if you are this sick.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

mschwab
on 9/24/17 9:55 am
RNY on 11/21/14

You've gotten some great advice here. Listen to the Vets. They have been there and done that, and know what works (and doesn't) over the long haul. The same can't be said for NUTs. You are very early out and need to be careful. Soft proteins in very small amounts, only. Eat slowly and chew well. I wish you all the best. You will do well if you need the advice you've gotten in the posts above.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views