I go tomorrow about revision from Sleeve to RNY

Jenniflower75
on 10/12/17 3:12 am

I had the sleeve in may of 2013. I lost about seventy pounds but then thanks to wonderful meds ( hear me dripping with sarcasim ) I gained almost all of it back. My starting weight before surgery was 240, date of surgery I was 229, Now I weigh 206. My lowest weight was around 160 but it was short lived. I had absolutely NO after care. I saw my surgeon ONCE after surgery and that was to get drainage out which was ten days after surgery. He left the practice the following week and they didn't have a surgeon that did the sleeve replace him for a year or two. By then I was eating regular. Smaller portions but regular so I just never went back. WELL fast forward a few years and I've had severe depression associated with my Bipolar, several hospitalizations, Electro convulsive therapy, many med changes and I'm back up to 206. For the past six months I have been having severe heartburn and acid reflux. I never had this problem prior to surgery even during pregnancy. Now I get so sick I can't even drink water. I'm throwing up everything and fast forward again, I'm on 40 mg of protonix twice a day and 8 mg of Zofran 3 times a day with tums in between. The only reason I don't weigh more than I do now is because of the vomiting. I've been in and out of the hospital several times because of dehydration and low potassium. They scoped my stomach and I do not have an ulcer but they say that my throwing up is directly related to heart burn and acid reflux. I can go as many times as 30 of throwing up a day. Some days are better than others but when my acid is acting up I can't eat or drink anything. There is no relief and when I do throw up its acid and bitter. Its terrible. The last inpatient I had due to the throwing up I saw a bariatric surgeon from another center and he suggested RNY to fix the prior surgery problems. I'm scared to have the surgery because I wouldn't consider my previous surgery a success. Before surgery they expected me to lose and weigh around 120 I was at least 40 pounds more than that. Right now I can't eat a diet high in protein because the protein is too heavy on my stomach and makes me sick. I see the replacement surgeon at my original center tomorrow. I know my insurance covers revision especially when its to fix a problem and there are no hoops to jump which is very frustrating when you have them. The only issue is that after I had surgery about six months later I started smoking again. I have not been able to quit. I need to quit for two months before having surgery. I'm scared to have this surgery. I'm scared it won't work. Not the weight loss though that is a concern but I'm scared that it won't fix the stomach issues. Then I will have had a second major surgery for nothing. I'm scared. My life is a complete mess right now. Everything is so up in the air right now and I'm scared to add anything to my plate so to speak. Please if anyone has had sleeve to rny for these reasons let me know how it worked for you.

SkinnyScientist
on 10/12/17 6:32 am

I haven't BUT you sound really burdened. My heart goes out to you.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Jenniflower75
on 10/12/17 6:39 am

Thank you. I'm very scared and now I have to go to my appointment tomorrow by myself. I'm just not sure what to do. I can't go on like this.

peachpie
on 10/12/17 7:17 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

There are plenty who have had revision from sleeve to RNY for various reason, acid is a big one.

I get your health is what you are trying to get settled, but your whole life is in upheaval according to you. Exploring options is fine, and I would never discourage anyone from trying to get relief from pain, etc.

For me personally, I would not go though another major surgery when my life is upside down. The post op life is a huge commitment, that you really aren't familiar with because of your last experience. It sounds like you really need to take baby steps to understand the revision surgery, quit smoking and most importantly, deal with the emotional baggage in you life causing the upheaval.

The surgery works, if you work it.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/12/17 7:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you go back to "eating regular" as you did after your first surgery, a revision to RNY won't do a damn thing for you.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Jenniflower75
on 10/12/17 12:48 pm

I don't know why you have to be so nasty. If you read my whole post you would see that acid reflux and a botched first surgery are my reasons for having second surgery not because I WAS EATING REGULAR. I still have restriction and the ONLY reason I don't eat high protein low carb is because ALL protein makes me vomit. My stomach can't handle it. So please keep your judgements to yourself.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/12/17 12:52 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

"I have completely failed my surgery!! I stopped loosing at 5 mo out and gave up at 7-8 months! I started eating whatever i wanted whenever i wanted." (Source)

If acid is the main problem, I really do hope that the revision helps. I just hope you've got the headwork taken care of as well :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Travelher
on 10/12/17 7:44 am
Revision on 10/04/16

I had a band to rny revision for reflux and it cured mine. I hope it does the same for you and I hope you are able to get a handle on the smoking and other issues that could derail you.

Best of luck.

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

babsinga
on 10/12/17 8:09 am
RNY on 07/11/17

Hi Jennflowers,

I am a 3x revision. Band to sleeve to RNY. I had surgery in July 11th 2017. My BMI 15 years ago was 55. I lost more than 154 pounds with the lapband. Then to due a prolapse, I had to have the band removed. It was revised to a sleeve in 2008. I had regained back up to 238 with no restriction but with the sleeve, I was able to go down to 165. Then the reflux started. I had reflux before the sleeve, but it just got worse and worse. A revision surgeon told me the only way to get rid of reflux was the RNY. Believe me when I tell you, that was NOT what I wanted to hear. But I was regaining weight eating crackers, bread etc.. Also being uncompliant and throwing up a few times a week and aspirating in my sleep as well. Not as bad as you, but I was on 2 to three meds a day.

I had the revision to RNY. During surgery, they found a hiatal hernia, fixed that and did the revision. My reflux isn't completely resolved but I would say about 90% better. I am off the prescription meds and take a ranitidine every one is a while before I eat spicy foods. I don't actually reflux like before because the food doesn't come back up at all. My life is improved greatly with the reflux but I did have some stomach issues with protein shakes and lots of food sensitivities that cause a lot of gas. That is getting somewhat better by eliminating foods that cause problems. I would definitely have the surgery if you are refluxing so bad. You can do extreme damage long term to your esophagus. The added benefit if you are compliant is that you will lose weight. I have lost 35 pounds in 3 months but I work hard to get it off. Since I have been revised so many times and I am close to my goal, it is much harder to lose. And I am not a spring chicken. PM me if you want to know more.

Babs in GA

HW 348 Revision SW 224 GW 165 CW 148

Revision from sleeve to RNY

Pre op: -5 M1-12 lbs M2 11 lb M3-5lb M4 -9lb M5 -2 M6-6 M7-7 M8 -4 M9-5 M10 -2 M11 -2

200 lbs lost and 17 pounds below goal !

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/17 8:41 am

Life can be very hard sometimes. A lot of us suffer from severe mental disorders. On meds and other wonderful things.

You need to know you are worth it. That no one can fix us other than ourselves. Meaning a therapist can be the best help but we have to want to change.

I hope the revision will help with your GERD.

Struggling is not easy. I am not going to say willpower. I hate that word. I put the word willingness in instead. I am willing to always take care of myself. At times I have to tell myself this in the mirror.

We can only be our own cheerleaders at times. It can be really scary and lonely. At the end of the day we have to see that we need to do this for us not anyone else.

I hope you can find the answers to your problems.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 339 views