Surgery this past Monday

GerryF2003
on 12/14/17 4:52 am
RNY on 12/11/17

I had surgery on Monday, and today is my first full day at home. I'm all alone at the moment and I suddenly can't remember any of my surgeons instructions. I had to call my husband at work and ask him if I was supposed to take any meds. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also heard that the first week is the worst, (I guess because of the liquid diet??) but I'm not experiencing any of that. In fact I have no desire to eat solid food at all, although I've caught myself thinking about what I should have for dinner because I'd forgotten that I'm a bypass patient. This just seems weird to me. Is this normal?? I know that trying to plan meals is probably just years of habit coming out, but forgetting that I had a bypass?! I'm definitely in a lot of (gas) pain so it's not like I feel so wonderful that it just slipped my mind. Am I going crazy here??

Librarian67
on 12/14/17 5:02 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Congrats on your surgery. It sounds like you are doing well. It was a few weeks for me until I felt normal. Just be good to yourself and keep notes as to what you need to do. Walking and drinking as much as possible will help with passing the gas. I could only walk a few minutes at a time when I first started, but I've worked my way up. Same with the fluids. Your job right now is walking and drinking as much as possible. In between rest and be gentle. You will heal and things will feel better day by day.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

hollykim
on 12/14/17 5:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 14, 2017 at 12:52 PM Pacific Time, GerryF2003 wrote:

I had surgery on Monday, and today is my first full day at home. I'm all alone at the moment and I suddenly can't remember any of my surgeons instructions. I had to call my husband at work and ask him if I was supposed to take any meds. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also heard that the first week is the worst, (I guess because of the liquid diet??) but I'm not experiencing any of that. In fact I have no desire to eat solid food at all, although I've caught myself thinking about what I should have for dinner because I'd forgotten that I'm a bypass patient. This just seems weird to me. Is this normal?? I know that trying to plan meals is probably just years of habit coming out, but forgetting that I had a bypass?! I'm definitely in a lot of (gas) pain so it's not like I feel so wonderful that it just slipped my mind. Am I going crazy here??

no you aren't going crazy. It is brain fog from the left over anesthesia in your body. It will pass.

you are not a gastric bypass patient. You are a person who had gastric bypass to cure a medical issue. There is a big difference and how you say things affects your thinking about it.

You are going to be able to eat and plan dinner just like you used to do when your healing is complete and you are on a regular diet. The choices need to be different but that is all. You are still a normal,regular person.

karenp8
on 12/14/17 5:46 am - Brighton, IL

Just have to say I love this response.

GerryF2003
on 12/14/17 6:26 am
RNY on 12/11/17

Thank you Holly, I didn't realize that. It's good to know that it's anesthesia effects and that I'm NOT going crazy!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 430 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views