Slight choking feeling occasionally?

cquick00
on 1/16/18 10:47 am
RNY on 12/11/17

I was wondering if anyone else deals w a slight choking feel after taking a sip of something or a bite of something? I'm 5 weeks out from bypass surgery and am still on liquids after a set back. But from early on I will occasionally eat eat or drink something (like jello or water w a mix in) and I'll have this moment of having to catch my breath/choking feeling. It only lasts for like 30 seconds but it will happen on every sip or bite of these particular things. Anyone else have this? Does it go away? Thanks!

MeerKat1994
on 1/16/18 12:36 pm, edited 1/16/18 5:28 am
RNY on 05/09/17

Hmmm. I would call your surgeon. I would imagine worst case scenerio is that it might be a structure. Could you be possible taking too big or fast of a bite/drink? Experiment with smaller and slower bites to see if it still happens. If so, def give your surgeon a call.

Edit: stricture not structure

cquick00
on 1/16/18 12:48 pm
RNY on 12/11/17

I told him about it at my first post-op apt and he was completely unconcerned. I see a trend with it happening with artificially sweetened things. It's not horrible and it doesn't prevent me from getting it down, it's just uncomfortable and slightly aggravating.

I just got out of the hospital after a 4 day stay and they ran a ton of tests to look at everything and all was good. I was in for a different reason (nausea and vomiting) but I think if it were a structural thing then they would have found it.

Thank you for your reply. It seems like this isn't common.

MarinaGirl
on 1/16/18 1:07 pm, edited 1/16/18 5:09 am

If artificially sweetened beverages or food are an issue then try not drinking/eating them at all. They offer no nutritional value and may impede weight loss so there is no good reason to consume, especially if they make you feel lousy. I developed an issue with sugar alcohols post-WLS and feel much better if I stay away from them and other artificial chemicals.

karenp8
on 1/16/18 7:26 pm - Brighton, IL

Why would artificially flavored things impede weight loss? They have very few calories and I've been using them for 51/2 years and have lost over 160 pounds and kept it off 41/2 years. The drink mixes keep me hydrated well and are an important part of my post op life. I do agree though that if they bother you then just avoid them.

karenp8
on 1/16/18 7:29 pm - Brighton, IL

Sorry I meant to say artificially sweetened. I guess my brain is already asleep!

losingit_sa
on 1/24/18 6:44 am
RNY on 08/17/18

A little late to this party, but...

I am pre-op, but this sounds exactly like what I experience with artificial sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-k, sucralose etc.) - that "takes my breath away" sensation. According to my docs/nutritionist, it is a major sensitivity to those products and they are best avoided when possible.

I find sugar alcohols, monkfruit or stevia don't cause the reaction, but of course everyone is different.

TWH (Toronto) | Starting Weight - 300, GW- 175

Referral: Jun 21/17 Orientation: Aug 23/17 NP: Sept 27/17 Social Worker: Sept 27/17 Nut Class: Oct 3/17 Sleep Study: Nov 6/17 NP Follow Up: Jan 3/18 Psych: Jan 12/18 Nut: Jan 15/18 Surgeon: June 1/18 Pre-Op: July 27/18 SlimTime: Aug 3/18 Surgery: Aug 17/18

SlimTime: -13.5 M1: -18 M2: -14 M3: -14.2 M4: -14.4 M5: -9.4 M6: -6.4 M7: -6.4 M8: ?

cquick00
on 1/24/18 7:28 am
RNY on 12/11/17

Thank you. It's odd because I never had this response before surgery. I don't mind staying away from the artificial sweeteners except I occasionally like a koolaid mix in with my water. Jus****er gets old and I'm not much more any of the other drinks we're allowed.

It's good to hear I'm not the only who experiences this and good to hear that we're on the same page with the cause. Thanks again. Best of luck with your surgery!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views