Did I just screw myself?

Arabella34
on 1/16/18 8:04 pm
RNY on 01/23/18

I had a 3 week liquid diet and am 2 weeks in. My surgery is next week and I just ate a small slice of pizza. Did I just totally screw myself over? The clinic really pushes that the surgery will be stopped if the liver isn't right during surgery. But I am reading starving on these ensures. Plus cooking for my family has made it very difficult. I would say I followed the diet 96% but today I was just so hungry. I am still under my calorie count for the day. Did I just screw myself?

Nancy Geoghegan
on 1/16/18 9:14 pm - Lincoln University, PA
RNY on 01/23/18

I'm on my pre op diet too. Surgery on the 23rd. When I drink the 2 protein shakes per day, 4 0z of lean meat, a cup of cooked veggies, a salad and lite Italian dressing I am staying in a state of ketosis. That means my body is not burning many carbs but is burning my stored fat as fuel.

I have eaten some sugar free pudding and sugar free jello. I think that as long as we strive to keep away from carbs and excess calories we should be good.

I don't think that you have ruined anything. Just think about fueling our bodies with our own fat in our liver and tummy and not with carbs.

We have one more week and then this phase will be over. We can do it!

I have

Nancy Geoghegan

ks76
on 1/17/18 2:33 am
RNY on 11/29/17

My pre op diet was 5 bariatric advantage shakes a day. But was allowed 4 meals in that 2 week period as well. My office stresses that as well. (About not doing the procedure due to the liver) and I went through successfully. I think you should be okay. That 2 weeks was tough bc I started on my anniversary, my bday was 4 days later, and then thanksgiving. Best wishes to you!!

Queen JB
on 1/17/18 3:54 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I don't know if you screwed yourself but you certainly didn't help yourself!

The pre-op diet is often the hardest part for people so I don't mean to make light of the struggle, but taking the doctors orders is serious. This part of the diet is to shrink your liver in order to make the surgery safe. And it also sets you up for the NON-NEGOTIABLE post-op rules you have to follow in the first 6 weeks after surgery.

Today is a new day. Start over, and get yourself in a reframed mindset for following rules. It's important and will be life saving after surgery.

Some of the best advice I've ever seen in this site: " hunger is not an emergency". Try to keep that gem in your back pocket... good luck!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Librarian67
on 1/17/18 4:18 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I suggest eating some SF popsicles. They count as fluids and you also can chew them. That helped me.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

NYMom222
on 1/17/18 5:53 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Better to drink an additional ensure or sit there and eat multiple SF popsicles if needed than eat pizza. This is important.

Put the ensure in the blender with ice, and add some additional sweetener to make it thick.

As far as the family goes, can you go and take a walk while they are eating? Can you throw something in the crockpot in the AM and let them serve themselves later?

Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

catwoman7
on 1/17/18 7:06 am
RNY on 06/03/15

you're not doing yourself any favors by doing that. You likely didn't screw anything up, but don't slip up again. Like others have said, the pre-op diet is the most difficult part of this process - esp if you're on one like mine that only allowed protein shakes and no- or very low-calorie fluids. I was allowed to eat SF popsicles and SF Jello, both of which I ate with abandon because it gave me the illusion of eating real food. Just white knuckle it - you're almost through it and then it'll be all over.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

MsTwinkles
on 1/17/18 7:38 am
RNY on 01/16/17

You can do this!

Don't beat yourself up too much - dust yourself off, get back on the wagon and keep your promise to yourself to stay there.

Honestly, the pre-op liquid diet really was the hardest part of this entire process for me!

I do the majority of the grocery shopping and cooking for my family. There were times when cooking dinner for my family felt like absolute torture. I was touching the food and smelling it but I wasn't allowed to eat any of it - ugh!

The good news is that the liquid diet stage doesn't last forever and the end of it is in sight!

Hang tough! I'm pulling for you!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?