HELP

MateoSteven
on 4/11/18 8:20 pm
RNY on 01/31/18

Really? I certainly was not "crying" because I want to eat chocolate. I was simply asking if anyone had any good ideas about how to satiate cravings for chocolate with in plan food choices. I thought this was a place for support, not judgment and name calling. Thanks for all of your help.

Surgery Date: 1/31/2018

Height: 6 feet 1 inch

Highest Weight: 325

Surgery Weight: 288

Current Weight: 179

ScottAndrews
on 4/12/18 4:12 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

Ouch.

Telling people not to give in to chocolate cravings 2 months out of surgery is horrible advice?

Wallenmm
on 4/12/18 7:25 am - Hammondsport, NY
RNY on 08/09/17

I've battled depression my entire life, so I know where you are coming from. I also fought getting on any medications because I thought that would say that I am "broken" or a "failure". I can tell you now that I WAS broken, and by finally getting on some medication and understanding that depression is common and a treatable condition, my life got better. Just like with surgery, I wish I had gotten on medication sooner. Also having someone to talk to, like a counselor, helps a ton. I hope you can do both medication and talking to someone. You have accomplished so much! You are not a failure at all. So many people have surgery then continue to eat junk and never even lose more than just a little bit. You lost 200 # and kept it off for a long time.

We all struggle. We all have bad times in our lives, and they get better when we reach out to others for support. Sites like this one can help. If you are on Facebook, My Bariatric Kitchen group is also very supportive. But please, if you are not talking to a counselor or medical professional, do so. Get help and get on meds if you need them.

Love and hugs,

Michelle

RNY Aug 9, 2017

Start: 311 pounds.

Pre surgery: -30

M1: -20, M2: -10, M3: -12, M4: -10, M5: -9, M6: -7, M7: - 10, M8: -8, M9: -5, M10: -10, M11: -7, M12:-6, M13: -7

swald21
on 4/12/18 7:56 am
RNY on 05/16/16

Hi Rhonda,

I am two years out from my gastric bypass and I feel for you. Lately, I have noticed myself snacking more and pushing the limits a little bit more everyday. I weighed in at 160 pounds last June and am now up to 180. Last June I was eating about 500 calories, which wasn't nearly enough, I was in a terrible marriage and now I'm not and therefore not depressed - I am eating the amount of calories I should be. Most people eat when they are depressed, but I was the exact opposite. Now that I am eating more, I have put on weight and I don't know if it is because I am eating too much or eating the right amount and got down so low last year because I wasn't eating enough. It eats at me all the time and I work with people who have had the surgery and gained all of their weight back so it terrifies me.

I, too, find myself eating throughout the day when I am not hungry so I started using My Fitness Pal in order to track my calories and the time I eat so that I am aware of the last time I ate before eating again. I have found myself eating breakfast and then thirty minutes later wanting a snack, but I am not hungry, I just want to eat. I find myself trending back towards old habits of sugar and carb snacks, and tracking my food has really helped me be aware of what I am putting in my mouth. Also, I read a book called "The Willpower Instinct" and it helped me tremendously, it gives advice on how to control your willpower and tips and tricks to keep it under control.

In regards to getting yourself on schedule for working out - that is very rough for me too! I had to just make it a part of my day, like going to work, I had to go to the gym. It isn't really an option for me not to go, I just made it a part of my day. The book discusses this more in detail and really helped me through it. I hope this helps you a little - you are not alone in how you feel and what you are going through.

Kathyjs
on 4/12/18 12:23 pm, edited 4/12/18 5:23 am

He wasnt teasing or calling you names, lighten up. Sometimes drama takes the place of food. Life is short folks, smile, laugh off comments that were simply ironic.