8-mo's out and have stretched poutch. What do I do?

ladyoaktree
on 10/9/18 5:59 am
RNY on 02/16/18

Hey guys,

I had RNY 2/16/18. I started at 321 and current wt is 228. I also had a total hysterectomy 7/2/18 and so in menopause. My weight has stalled the last three months (since second surgery) and so I have been looking into my food. I've noticed I am able to eat more than 1 cup, which I only do at dinner time. I can see where my food addiction is ALREADY creeping back in. My aunt has been making dinner, a lot of fried food, bread, and such, and so I think this is where my stall is coming from. Also, maybe a little from menopause. My question for this group is, am I doomed? I can't believe I've already stretched my pouch at just 8 months out. I'm only 5-1 and so still have a long ways to go. :( I'm trying to find a nutritionist who specializes in bariatric surgery to help me. In the meantime, what do you guys suggest? Thank you so much! So thankful I found this site.

Ginnny
on 10/9/18 7:40 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Stay away from fried foods and bread and such. You should be focusing on dense protein first and then if room non starchy veg. You're only doomed if you choose to make the bad choices. Just because your aunt makes those foods doesn't mean you have to eat them. Make your own dinner so you control what is being cooked for you. The surgery was your choice not hers. You can't expect others to change the way they eat just because you need to.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Writergurl08
on 10/9/18 7:54 am
RNY on 02/15/18

It's extremely unlikely you've stretched your pouch at 8 months out. I had my surgery just the day before you did and I can also eat more than 1 cup of food--especially if I'm eating the wrong things. A lot of carby foods slide right on down like buttah! Same for things that aren't dense, like salad. I can still eat a boatload of salad and vegetables--which is why they say to eat your protein first. Go back to the basics--dense protein, then non starchy veg. Cut the carbs.

we are starting an AMAW (All Meat All Week) challenge tomorrow--there's a post on this page just a couple down from yours. It might be just the thing to push you back on track :)

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

ladyoaktree
on 10/9/18 10:29 am
RNY on 02/16/18

Oh thank you so much! I will check that out!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/9/18 7:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Things like bread and carbs are called "slider foods" because they slide right through your pouch and you will not feel restriction.

Get 4oz of lean, dense protein (like chicken breast). I'll bet five dollars you won't be able to finish the whole thing. Proof that your pouch hasn't stretched.

If your weight loss has stalled, you are eating too many calories. Start weighing, measuring, and logging everything you eat; MyFitnessPal is a great site for that. Go back to your surgeon's targets, which are probably about 600 - 800 cal, 60+ g protein, and under 25g carbs.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ladyoaktree
on 10/9/18 10:30 am
RNY on 02/16/18

Thank you so much! I have never heard of "slider foods" before. So thankful I have found this group.

ladyoaktree
on 10/10/18 9:35 am
RNY on 02/16/18

Okay, so you are correct! I'm doing all protein this week and just tried to eat 1 cup chicken and couldn't finish half of it. Feel very full and a little sick, Thank you again!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/10/18 9:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

That's great news! (Not that you're feeling sick, but you know!)

Some people on here like to do AMAW-- all meat all week-- as a mental "reset" and a good way to get back on track. I've done it several times and found it to be a great help!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ScottAndrews
on 10/10/18 4:33 am
RNY on 03/20/17

You just need to eat the right foods and you'll feel that restriction once again. Bread and the coating that usually surrounds fried foods are on total wrong end of the spectrum.

You should check out the daily menu threads and see what people are eating. Keep your body moving and don't eat those bad carb rich foods. You still have the best weight loss tool science has produced at your disposal.

NYMom222
on 10/10/18 6:07 am
RNY on 07/23/14

You have not stretched your pouch. It is not that easy to do and certainly nearly impossible at 8 months.

Mas time goes on it naturally gets easier to eat and as swelling goes down we have more room in our pouch. That is supposed to happen.

Develop good habits. Drink your water. Protein first then veggies. Dense protein.

It doesn't get easier to lose weight than right now. Put your blinders on to the other stuff and just do it.

Yes suddenly being in menopause stinks. Give yourself some grace. Recovery from Hysterectomy is hard.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views