Post OP, is this normal?

MammaKathy
on 10/21/18 2:05 pm

Okay, I know I am only one week post op, revision surgery to GB with major lysis of adhesions (stomach was peeled from diaphragm). I am struggling to get more than 20 oz per day. One thing I have noticed, all of sudden I get thirsty and overdo at one time. I drank 3 ounces at one time.

I feel like a belt is right across my upper chest. Is this how anyone else get when pouch is over full? Today, it has been like that since around 11 am. I have only been able to get in about 10 ounces to day so far. I don't feel dehydrated. I also can't get my bowels to move - a week today. I did not do a pre op diet since this was a revision. I ate normally the day before surgery.

MammaKathy
on 10/21/18 2:06 pm

Is the belt like pressure normal?

peachpie
on 10/21/18 2:13 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Generally, you should not feel any pain or presssure with only liquids, since they do not sit in the pouch, they just funnel through. Only way you should experience pain with liquids is if a stricture formed. (Seems early for that)

Also, the pain from taking a bite to many is more centralized to the center of the chest in my experience. What you are describing sounds broad.

My BM's took a week to restart, but I was on a liquid diet.

I'd ask my surgeon for guidance.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

MammaKathy
on 10/21/18 2:16 pm

thank you for replying, I know it is weird. It is like a belt is just under my ribs, pulled tight. I have taken colace three times a day since Thursday, nothing. My belly is mostly soft. it is odd.

White Dove
on 10/21/18 2:42 pm - Warren, OH

If you are pain medicine that can cause the constipation.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Haley_Martinez
on 10/21/18 4:21 pm
RNY on 05/03/18

I actually do feel the belt like pressure all across my front when I drink to much at once (even now 6 months out). It's really weird but it's gotten better. I used to only be able to sip, now I can take normal drinks, but I still get that feeling if I try to chug a liquid.

27 years old - 5'5" tall - HW: 260 - SW: 255 - LW: 132.0 - Regain: 165.0

Pre Op - 5.0, M1 - 25.6, M2 - 15.6, M3 - 14.0, M4 - 13.4, M5 - 10.8, M6 - 13.8, M7 - 9.8, M8 - 7.8, M9 - 2.8, M10-2.4, M11-0, M12-7

Lower Body Lift with Dr. Carmina Cardenas - 5/3/19

Writergurl08
on 10/21/18 4:26 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

I also felt that pressure when trying to get fluids in, and it was very difficult to reach my fluid goals early on because of it. I think it's because there's surgical swelling that early out. See if it eases a bit in the next week or so as you heal.

If you show ANY signs of dehydration--dizziness, nausea, dark urine, etc...call your surgeon! If you can't stay hydrated well enough you may need IV fluids.

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

LuckyLoser
on 10/22/18 1:51 am, edited 10/21/18 6:53 pm - NEPA, PA
RNY on 08/20/18

I am 2 months post-RNY, but not revision. I got the belt-like feeling across my chest when I ate or drank anything when a stricture developed about 4 weeks post-op. The only way to relieve it was if I finally vomited. I did not induce the vomiting though, it would just happen several hours later. Sorry if TMI.

But, like a previous poster wrote, it is too soon post-op for a stricture. Also, the pain only happens when you take big sips. As another previous poster said, it's probably because you still have a lot of inflammation or swelling in your new pouch. The inflammation will resolve over time and so should the chest pain.

Height: 5'2" Starting Weight: 260

Surgery Weight: 232 Goal Weight: 140

Current Weight: 179

"Fall down seven times and get up eight."

sweetpotato1959
on 10/22/18 10:38 am

What I would do. Put in call to surgeons support team with your questions.

Move. get up and walk every 30 minutes .. Moving will help elongate your torso, and if you are getting any collapse at the base of your pouch( which can occur @ sitting position) With the edema from the surgical procedure, it is possible the passage will take a few weeks to go to the diameter neeeded for quick emptying of anything.My edema took 6-8 weeks to get my pouch to a normal state.

I did have this problem with my early WLS surgery. I still have to get up and move intermittently, especially if I take bites too quickly...decades later, occassionally.

Do abdominal massages to extreme lower left and right quadrant, of stomach.. it will help with motility in case you are still taking any pain meds.

SIP liquids, pretty much continually to get liquids in no more than an ounce at a time. Try very warm liquids they move down faster and promote motility. include some of your protein supplements in warm water/sugar free hot chocolate to intake your fluids and protein at the same time.

There is a spot just above the tail bone... when you sit on the potty rub that nerve bundle in a circular motion. This will stimulate a BM in even paralyzed individuals. You may need to try several times,.

a full liquid diet might have been a better service to your system.... too late for that. If you let your surgeon know, He/She may modify pocedures for the next ones they do.

GRANDMAr
on 10/22/18 5:14 pm
VSG on 10/21/16

Congrats on your surgery.

I believe that most of us have the same issue. My nut suggested that every 15 minutes you should drink 1 oz. of water throughout the day. As that get easier you can add more. But NEVER gulp or drink without a breathe. That will probably cause you to become nauseous.

I ALWAYS suggest that when there is something going on, you should contact someone on your team to give you the correct answer.

Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?