How to make Protein Shakes Easier to take , and How to get in your protein early on!

OldMedic
on 4/11/11 1:11 am - Alvaton, KY
Lots of us find protein shakes to be somewhat less than "Gourmet Foods".  I never found any brand that I would call delicious, and several of them I found to be downright gross.

Personally, I could not stand the Nectar types.  I ended up sticking pretty much to a Chocolate or Vanilla powder type, and to put it mildly, I got REAL tired of them pretty quickly.

I found that the colder it was, the easier it went down.  I didn't notice the tase as much when it was ice cold.

I also discovered that adding flavorings helped a LOT.  I bought lemon, orange, strawberry, almond, mint and other flavorings that are used in baking (you can find them in the baking mix section of any supermarket), and I would vary the flavoring each day.  I also bought a good brand of Vanilla extract.

I was amazed that almost all of them worked equally well with either vanilla or chocolate.  Vanilla helped the basic flavor of both the Vanilla and the Chocolate.  A few drops made the vanilla actually taste like it should, and a few drops made the chocolate taste even more like chocolate!  It's amazing how that works, but it does.

Strawberry/Chocolate is wonderful.  So is Orange/Chocolate and Mint/Chocolate.

Early on, I used a shot glass to put my drink in.  I couldn't handle more than a couple of ounces, so I would do just ONE ounce, very cold, and let it settle completely.  Then, about 5-10 minutes later, sip another ice cold ounce.  Before I knew it, I had a full 8 ounce drink down, and had hit my protein goal for one meal.

When I was out, I took a thermos of protein shake with me.  I could pour out an ounce, sip it, and keep the rest cold.

As I could handle more, I moved up to a 2 ounce container.  Then to a half cup container, and so on.

Always keep your drink as cold as you can.  That makes it easier on your stomach (especially in the beginning, when the stomach is raw and rebelling against EVERYTHING).

Nothing will ever make protein shakes taste like a good home made dinner, but you can make them a lot more palatable.  And that can be key to getting them down, and getting in all of your needed protein.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Sunkissedsgrho
on 4/11/11 1:19 am - LA
Thanks for the advice! Looks like it worked for you!
diane S.
on 4/11/11 1:29 am
great hints - things i did too. I used to take my 2 oz serving of icy cold protein drink in a fancy little demi tasse cup or crystal wine glass, while keeping the rest in the freezer.

And most chocolate drinks are improved by adding a half tsp of unsweetened coco powder. mix well. takes off the disgusting sweet edge and gives a more adult choc taste. I still do this 17 months out with protein coco.

you can also mix a protein drink and freeze it solid, then nuke it to soften and then blend it. the result is a thick malt like texture that is pleasing. better than grinding up ice cubes and won't destroy your blender. 

diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

ashleyc
on 4/11/11 1:52 am - AL
I mix in a couple teaspoons of choc pudding powder to my choc protein shakes. Makes them yummy!!
Ashley Cornelison
Can't wait to be sleeved!!
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
KrisJ77
on 4/11/11 2:17 am - TX
Thanks!! I will try that - I need help in that department!!

wannabeprettyinpink
on 4/11/11 3:08 am - MN
I have the same problem - cant drink a whole shake at once.  And if you do the protein powders after a while they tend to become the "blob" multiplying in size....

So lately, I take my premixed ones and have been mixing in fresh fruit, or decaf instant coffee and drinking it on my ride to work.  If I sip all the way there I can get most of it down in the 20 minute ride. 

Only problem - my husband says I cant leave the dirty cup in the car... Makes it a bit yeasty smelling at the end of the day...lol

sarahlr802
on 4/11/11 3:14 am - Fort Mill, SC
Does anyone use milk in their drinks?
OldMedic
on 4/11/11 12:19 pm - Alvaton, KY
I use 1% milk in all of my protein shakes (except the nectar, and those really made me sick).  I can't stomach skim milk, so I use the 1%.  My dieticians all approved it, so why not?
A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Paula622
on 4/11/11 3:35 am
Maybe I'll try the vanilla extract.  To this day I've yet to find a protein that I don't hate!  I did without shakes for most of my post op period and did pretty well at meeting my protein goals.  However, now that I have a baby to think about I'm forcing one down daily (really should try for two).  It is excruciating!  I've never been good at drinking anything sweet!  I'm hoping maybe some fresh summer berries and a vanilla protein will make a nice smoothie to get me through the summer!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views