Sliming and foamies?

SpiceyMom
on 4/24/11 10:16 pm
VSG on 04/28/11 with
Um, what is that all about? Is it a post-op thing or an ongoing sleeve thing? What causes it? I occasionally see it referenced here but no idea what it is! TIA!!
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
Sniffles...
on 4/24/11 10:24 pm - Hendersonville, TN
I haven't had experience with foamies... so I'm no help there. Sliming has occurred when I ate too many bites of a dense food back to back or did not chew the dense food really well. Essentially, the food gets "stuck" and you can feel it trying to pass through... sort of like it's turning but not getting anywhere. It's extremely uncomfortable. In the meantime, you are actively swallowing saliva while the food isn't budging... so, eventually, you end up bringing the food back up if it becomes so uncomfortable and you think it's not going to pass through. When you do that, all of the saliva you swallowed comes up first or in conjunction with the food. It's clear and slimy... hence, the "slimies". The lesson here is to chew your food really well before swallowing and put your fork/spoon down between bites. It rarely happens for me anymore... You learn to slow down and chew well with time.

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
VeraG
on 4/24/11 10:39 pm - Bonner Springs, KS
Basically it's when your mouth fills with saliva uncontrollably.  It happens to me if I eat or drink too fast.  Also if I eat one bite too much.

Living until I die!

cattywompos
on 4/24/11 10:42 pm
It is poth a post op and sleeve thing.  I am not sure what the slimies are, but I have had the foamies and I think they are similar.  I got the foamies once when I ate something too early out (sausage when my tummy wasn't ready), when I ate and drank too soon after eating, and when I ate something too dry.  These all happened early out when I was still learning my new tummy and my tummy was more sensitive.  Basically I very suddenly didn't feel well, mouth filled with saliva and ran to the bathroom only to spit and spit and spit out foamy crap. Luckily it passes quickly for me, but others aren't as fortunate. If you ever get them you will know why we call them the foamies :)
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

SpiceyMom
on 4/24/11 10:50 pm
VSG on 04/28/11 with
I was afraid of that...that I would know them when I met them. Eek!
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
BriarRose
on 4/25/11 12:47 am
I have had slimeys only once. Oddly enough it was in reaction to my first hard boiled egg. Had been happily eating soft boiled ones, but took a H/B egg to work with me day one back to work. The next day I mashed the egg and added lofat mayo to it and was fine. Waited about 3 weeks and tried H/B egg again (at home!) and have been fine with it since.

I have heard many with other surgeries have the same problem, so I don't think it is specific to VSG.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
KrisJ77
on 4/25/11 1:42 am - TX
It has happened to me 4 times since surgery (I am 3 months out today) - I believe it was caused by me not chewing enough.  What I experienced was after I ate - I right away didn't feel good.  I would go sit down on the couch and try to wait for it to pass.  About an hour after eating and still hurting, the saliva in your mouth starts to build and before you know it - you are flying to the bathroom to throw up!  The only good thing about it is feeling better right after.  One of my 4 rounds happened here at work.  Not good!!  Now I am careful!!!  Chew Chew Chew - the Chew some more!!!!

Hope this gives you some idea...hope it never happens to you!!!

KrisJ77
on 4/25/11 1:42 am - TX
oops!!  then Chew some more!!  lol!!!

Maureen K.
on 4/25/11 2:51 am
Yuk I am two and a half years out and still get them. What causes them for me is eating too fast too much or too big of bites and mostly with dense protein. Not sure how to explain it except I feel too full and painful and then this foamy acid saliva builds in my mouth and I have to spit sometimes I will sit and sot over and over again into a cup for 15_20 minutes. It is the worst each time it happens I swear I won't let it happen again but then I do best wishes to you on your journey

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views