Sleeve and smoking

kimmiewho
on 4/27/11 12:19 am - Des Moines, IA
Okay I am trying to get the sleeve done and I am a smoker. I am trying extremely hard to stop and my doctor recommended that I do. I was wondering was there anyone else out there that was a smoker and had to stop before surgery?
Elizabeth M.
on 4/27/11 12:33 am
yes my doctor told me that i had to quit for him to do the surgery. smoking slows down the healing process. and i am also having a very hard time quiting.
Mrs. Hopeful

kimmiewho
on 4/27/11 12:36 am - Des Moines, IA
kimmiewho
on 4/27/11 12:39 am - Des Moines, IA
So you still smoke and have had the surgery? Did he do the surgery when you were still a smoker? I am going to try to cut way back and stop completely. But reality says I won't be able to stop cold turkey. I know it slows down the healing process and I am hoping to not be smoking after, but she said she wanted me smoke free 3 months prior to surgery. Did you quit 3 months prior to surgery?
SassyItalian
on 4/27/11 12:37 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Most doctors require you to stop smoking pre-op. It slows healing and can put you at an increased risk of death from anesthesia/intubation.

I have heard of several docs doing random nicotene tests (think random drug test!) on pre-op folks to make sure they had really stopped.

Eek!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

kimmiewho
on 4/27/11 12:42 am - Des Moines, IA
wow really! but it sounds like the same risk of this surgery is for any surgery in general when it comes to smoking. i had a hysterectomy 6 hours done and was a smoker before and after and had no problems and back at work in 3 days! But I understand what you are saying. I just thought that the risk of being a smoker and this surgery was higher or something. But it just sounds to me that the risk of being a smoker is the same for this surgery and all other surgeries you have. my intentions is to stop so i won't have an issue, but I have had multiple surgeries and have been a smoker and i have done very well. I just thought it was something with the sleeve that was the problem. But i haven't made my mind up on the sleeve surgery at this point. Thanks
Katester
on 4/27/11 1:25 am

my surgeon required me to stop 3 months prior. I quit 2 days after he told me, cold turkey no problem because I wanted this VSG SOOOOOOO bad. I got 2 blood tests and 2 urine tests from then up until 15 minutes before surgery. He was very serious. The reason it is different that your hysto done while you were smoking...this is an elective surgery. you are CHOOSING to have this done. Being an overweight/obese population, we already are "high risk" when it comes to anastesia (sp) and smoking just makes it worse. It WILL affect your healing. I got 2 really bad infections because I started smoking right after surgery again. It took me a full 6 weeks to heal when it should have only taken 3 MAX. Your lungs need to be at FULL CAPACITY when you go under anastesia. Stop smoking! This surgery is sooo worth it! My surgeon has canceled on 4 people so far because they did not follow his orders to stop. just stop....it will only benefit you.

bekahler
on 4/27/11 12:44 am, edited 4/27/11 12:44 am - Parkville, MD
 Smoking also greatly increases your risk of blood clots..another possible fatal side of this/any surgery...that is why they have you up and moving so soon post op

edit to add: I know my hospital does test for nicotine...no hospital wants to take on extra risk...it screws up their stats if people die! 

"There are no Strangers Here, Only Unmet Friends" ~Helen Keller        

kimmiewho
on 4/27/11 12:51 am - Des Moines, IA
Well that is kind of weird. They only test for nicotine for sleeve patients? They don't do that for any other surgery? The risk of blood clots and complications are with any surgery no matter what it is. I had a hysterectomy and had blood clot leggins on for 24 hours. I think that is a surgical risk no matter what the surgery is. I am not defending smoking believe me it is a horrible habit of mine I need to get rid of but I am not seeing the risk of this surgery and smoking being any different then the risk of any surgery in general? I am trying to stop believe me. It is not worth the risk. But testing for nicotine cracks me up! LOL  I am sure there are people that have done drugs or drink alochol do they test for that too? or smoke pot, do they test for that too? LOL  Thanks everyone this is interesting.
Gracieteddy
on 4/27/11 1:05 am - IA
I am a nurse and x smoker. I cannot stress enough that You CAN NOT!smoke and have this surgery ( really any surgery) It increases the likelyhood of major complications. You should not smoke for a period before( one month?) or after say( three months?) as clots are still a risk. i WOULD NOT RISK IT......

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views