Sleeve and smoking

Danielle K.
on 4/27/11 12:46 pm - Evart, MI
 Well I am going to throw one more log on the fire, and try to answer your question of why it is so important with this surgery and they don't require it with others.....

As you said blood clots are a risk in any surgery.  When you are obese you are at an EXTREMELY high risk for blood clots.  (add to that you're female and if you use hormonal birth control two  more things that make super high risk)  Smoking also greatly increases that risk.  And yes there are the "normal" things that are there for all surgeries....healing, pain control...blah blah blah.  I will say this, if you healed so well with your hysterectomy and you were still a smoker imagine if you had been a non smoker how much faster you'd have healed.  OR maybe you are one of those rare "exceptions" to the rules.  Like those women who say 'I drank when I was pregnant and my baby was fine'  It's just more often than not most people have these side effects.  Not every time with every patient would it happen, that's impossible.  But doctors have to cover their licenses and make the "rules" based on the majority not the minority.  And these rules help the fact that no one EVER (yet) has died from this surgery.

In my case, my doctor said that the not smoking post op is WAY more important than pre op.  Because post op nicotine does contribute to ulcers in the stomach.  And they have had leaks at the suture line and actual perforations (holes) in the stomach.  Now I'm sure you can understand why this is important as they remove 85% of the stomach.  Not like RnY where they just bypass it and leave it in, so it's there if they need to repair (or reverse) in the future. My doc said that if we ever had a perf and needed a repair he would do it once and if it happened again he'd release us as his patient because of non compliance.  This doesn't mean he didn't require us to be smoke free before surgery.  He said he'd test.  And he did.  I asked and they tested the morning of, right along with a pregnancy test.  Some docs test way preop but mine didn't.  I'm a nurse and read my lab slips and know what they are looking for so I know he never checked pre op.  

And they do test for more than nicotine, they also test for the metabolites.  Which nicotine takes about 3-7 days to get out of your system based on how heavy of a smoker you are.  But the metabolites take up to 30 days (or sometimes more).

I hope this helps.  I have a tendancy to be long winded.  But educating patients is one of the favorite parts of my job.
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

kimmiewho
on 4/28/11 1:25 am - Des Moines, IA
Thank you everyone for all the advise. Yes I think I am resisting the fact to stop smoking, I agree with that but what smoker wouldn't? Any addiction no matter what it is the first step is denial I don't need to do that I don't have a problem, so I think that is a normal emotion.

I am going to stop. I want to for me and my family. I want to for the fact that it is a horrible habit. But this horrible habit turned into a nasty addiciton and I have to be honest with myself first that this is what I want for me and no one else or I will not be successful. Right now I am not at that place where I can be honest with myself yet. I am still in denial. I am working on it and searching out the Chantix and the e cig to help me along. I am a strong woman and know I an do this, but I also thought that about dieting too. I don't need this surgery I can get rid of this weight on my own it is all denial. So again with the eating as an addiction and the cigs it is just alot to put into my head right now.

Thank you to everyone for your advise it has helped me alot and I am truly thankful. I am hoping I am making the right decision to have this surgery. I am not second guessing the surgery because of the smoking, I am second guessing the surgery because it is life changing. Can I go on with the rest of my life with a small portion of food. What will my mind think when it see's that and I can't finish my plate. Can I eat like that now without surgery and lose weight? Am I mentally prepared for the change to happen in my body and my life style. I guess I am seconding guessing alot.

So the surgery and the smoking is alot to deal with and try to come to terms with. Maybe along with being confused I am just plain scared.

Thank you everyone
Danielle K.
on 4/28/11 3:56 am - Evart, MI
 Good luck!  It is a HARD thing to deal with.  Both aspects.  It took me years to quit smoking, and Chantix was MY key to success.  As for the surgery It took me 4 years of thinking and saying 'no' and finally getting married and having a baby to bring it back up and I finally said 'yes'.  But you are on the right track already that you are thinking about the things you are contemplating.  I did not even worry about portion sizes and it's still biting me in the @ss.  Granted I'm only 6 weeks post op so I have a long way to go.

Anyway good luck on your journey, may you find the path that is right for you. 
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views