New to this Site and Need Advise

kmcook
on 5/8/11 11:33 pm
 Hi,

I am in the process of getting approved for the surgery.  I originally went in for a seminar on the lap band and decided that the sleeve sounded more suitable for my life.  My insurance is covering the surgery and not requiring me to do the 6 months of classes. However, I feel a little rushed and a little overwhelmed that is it going so fast.  I want to go into this well informed!!  So my question is what should I do to prepare myself for a life with a sleeve?  I have been reading some posts about immediate post-op stories and it is definitely giving me some insight to what life will be like immediately but what will life be like in the future?   Any information will be helpful!!  Thanks so much!

cattywompos
on 5/8/11 11:51 pm
Things are great!  Yes, the first few months are a bit rough, but after awhile you start to feel normal. You get used to eating with your new sleeve and for me, it has become almost second nature. Not to mention that as the weight comes off you start to feel more energized, happy and you feel like you fit in the world better.  At 7months out I rarely have any episodes of nausea or foamies or anything because my tum has healed and I am settled into my new eating habits.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

George B.
on 5/9/11 12:08 am - Miami, FL
I was sleeved 23 days after meeting with my surgeon. I too thought it was a bit fast but now, almost 2 years post-op, I only wish I had done it sooner.

My research for the sleeve was done primarily on this site. I read posts, posted questions and learned from the experience of others.

Good luck,
George

kwood15
on 5/9/11 12:15 am - OK

From the time i started looking into this surgery and the day i had surgery was aproximately 2 months. I spent tons of time on u tube watching videos of people who had had this surgery, some of them had just had the surgery but there were also people who had been tracking their surgery til now, which may be one to three years after surgery.
I found this site shortly before my surgery and there are also people who have tracked their experiences here. This is a wonderful place!
I too went to the seminar planning on having the lap band but as soon as the surgeon started talking about the sleeve, i turned to my husband and said this is a no brainer! This is the surgery i am having! I love it and wouldn't change it!

Jenijeni
on 5/9/11 1:32 am
If you'd like to talk with folks that are in maintenance, you should get on the VSG maintenance board and talk with some of them! Lots of folks who are very happy with their lives! I'm only three months out, but so happy with my decision! I feel great and am starting to look great, too!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views