Another realistic expectations ----

BriarRose
on 5/14/11 4:17 am
Was just thinking about this....had an appt with my doc yesterday, 4 month post-op appt.  He told me something very important. 

He said that I should expect good weight loss, and should expect that I will probably lose well to about 170 pounds, and that if I want to go under that, that it will be a real fight.  He acknowledged that some people would say that this isn't enough, and that he should give me a goal that would put me in the normal BMI catagory, but that he does not think that I would get there, based on my age, highest weight, surgery weight, my arthritis, and other factors. 

You know, I really appreciated his candor, and his input because it made me feel like I had a "logical" goal -- and one that I hope to reach.  I had made my goal of 165 by thinking back to a point where I was most comfortable with myself, and that was around 165 -- 30 years ago !!! I told my surgeon that, and he laughed and said that 5 pounds in 30 years was nothing to quibble about !! 

I really felt good leaving his office yesterday, knowing that we are on the same page.  And that HIS expectation of me was not to weigh 125....or something that I felt was not reachable.  It did not make me feel like I had to stop at 170, but made me feel like this was a goal I coud attain !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
diane S.
on 5/14/11 4:38 am
ya know what - my doc told me that because i was losing slowly that i would end up at 150 to 160 which was about 25 lbs more than i wanted to be. but i got to goal and below and those last pounds were among the easiest . increasing protein helped. ditto overall activity level. so while some fight for the last 20, for some of us things speed up later on. and if you have arthritis (i had lots of joint pain) things got so much better with weight off that i could move so much more freeely and you will find this too. 

so while its important to be realistic, at least give a try for where you want to be as this first year is the best time to get your weight off.

sounds like you have a wonderful doctor who is really helping you along the way.  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Mom4Jazz
on 5/14/11 5:21 am
My realistic goal is about the same as you. But I gotta say, the day I hit onederland will be the day I just absolutely shout for joy. I haven't weighed under 200 lbs in my adult life. Not once. Haven't been consistently under 300 lbs since my 20's - I'd lose and regain, but not consistently stay there.

I remember them lining all of us kids up in 6th grade and weighing us - I was the fattest kid, and weighed over 200 lbs (I was 5' 7" tall) and all the kids and even the nurse weighing me made fun of me.

My plan is to keep with the program, not stop at any given goal weight (unless I start to get too skinny, which is hard for me to imagine)...I'll just let my body decide what it wants to weigh. If I keep with the eating program and exercise, it should settle down at a healthy weight for me at some point. To heck with what my BMI is then - if I can maintain in onederland, I will be an incredibly happy woman.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Kristy R.
on 5/14/11 5:52 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I am glad you had such a positive and honest visit with your Doctor.  It sounds like he really takes the time to be honest and set realistic expectations.  That is so important!  

The ultimate goal here is to be healthier. If you doctor feels you can attain that at that weight , then that is wonderful!
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Libralin
on 5/14/11 6:20 am - MorrisCounty, NJ
I remember when I had the band and I couldnt break past a 70lb weight loss..the dr. told me I probably wasnt going to lose more than that...232-161 no matter what I did to the band as far as adjustments. Dont know if he was right or not..because I had a loss and started eating wrong.thus, started to gain weight..and the band was strangling my expanding tummy.
Plus he said...alot of the extra weight could be skin. I dont know if that is the same for the sleeve or not...but could be.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views