Chicken Skin????

tjosato
on 5/17/11 6:04 am - Ofallon, IL
Im 10 weeks out and had some BBQ chicken (breast and wing) for lunch. Let me preface that I have had chicken A LOT without any problems. Occasionally if the chicken is dry, a piece will give me foamies...... but nothing like today.  I dont think i ate the food particularly fast nor do I feel like I ate too much ( I didnt finish the breast). However, today I vomited for the first time. First it was foamies, now Im actually vomiting the chicken. The only thing I did different this time was I ate the wing with the skin on.  The breast I peeled the skin off. Can chicken skin cause a blockage? Or am I just having some sort of reaction to eating the skin? Anybody else ever have their sleeve freak out on chicken skin?

Thanks in advance,
TJ

FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 5/17/11 6:11 am, edited 5/16/11 6:13 pm - New Orleans

I have no problems w/ chicken skin, but we're all very different in what our sleeves tolerate. It's not going to cause a blockage of any kind.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

OldMedic
on 5/17/11 6:17 am - Alvaton, KY
Chicken skin is VERY high in fat.  You should not be eating it at all.  But, skin by itself should not cause foamies.  You likely either ate too fast, ate too much or both.  Often, people are not really aware that they are doing that, until it's too late.
A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

(deactivated member)
on 5/17/11 6:48 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
High five chicken skin eating brutha!! 
FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 5/17/11 7:17 am - New Orleans
If I'm going to sacrifice sugar, flour & all things carby... you better damn well believe I'm gonna eat a little chicken skin.  Same goes for steak, bacon & cheese.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

Dandy_DeeDee
on 5/17/11 10:26 am
I'm with you on this one! *Giggles* 

Highest Registered Weight 369 lbs (but I weighed more, just didn't have a scale! *Giggles*)
Surgery 12/23/10 - 313 lbs Then had a 6 lb gain from having surgery! So I went up to 319
Current Registered Weight 208 lbs   “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” ~ Kahlil Gibran          

BriarRose
on 5/17/11 6:19 am
From time to time I have trouble with chicken breast, mostly when I eat out. I have only barfed 4 times since surgery, and 3 out of 4 times on chicken breast. I wish I could figure out what exactly is the issue, cuz most times, it's fine.

I do not eat the skin of the chicken if I can avoid it.

Sorry you got sick. No fun.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
frisco
on 5/17/11 6:34 am

You may wanna try some food lube on dense protein like chicken and beef in general......Lube with some kind of sauce or something. I usually keep some store made Roasted Red Bell Pepper soup or some Wendy's Chili in the fridge to eat with chicken breast in particular.

What happens is the food gets stuck at the "turn" in your sleeve. 

Hope this helps.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

tjosato
on 5/17/11 9:56 am - Ofallon, IL
It was leaning toward the dry side.  I thought the BBQ sauce would help a little. But since I took the skin off the breast that took away most of the "lube".

BTW, Wendy's chili has really been a savior to me during this process. If im out and need to find something to eat, or when I want something besides fish and chicken, I usually fall back to Wendy's chili.
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/11 6:50 am
It seems to me (just say'in) that a breast and a wing is a lot.  I am just a week shy of you and I can barely get down 2-3 oz of chicken...especially the breast.  Maybe a half or whole ounce more if its the thigh (skinless/boneless) so maybe its the amount you ate not the tiny bit of skin on the wing.  I have gotten the foamies after a very small meal if its dense protein but never thru up. 
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views