needing to gain more weight....

Tipsynoodle
on 5/23/11 12:32 pm - Kempner, TX
 hi all im a newbie hoping to have surgery.....so i went to my doctor and according to him im a 40.6 on the BMI scale....( i gained 6 pounds on purpose ) i was soo thrilled and he just looked at me and said he never had any patients coming in being happy about weight gain lol....
three days later I went to the weight loss seminar being offered on the military installation and they weighed me also and i came up on their BMI scale at 39.0...i had lost 6 pounds!! from 229 to 223
I was soooo disappointed to say the least.....I have no co morbidies so i have to be at 40.....
Now i got to eat more to gain it back and then some to be on the safe side lol.....any ideas what i can eat to ensure the weight stays on for a while???
In the meantime im taking all the classes and appointments (psych) that i have to take to be ready when i am accepted for surgery...

annie_mo
on 5/23/11 12:35 pm - Sullivan, MO
 Load your pockets with an abundance of coins. Put heavy stuff in your purse and get weighed while you are holding it. Thats what I did. :)

5'5 HW 238 / SW 198 / GW 130 / CW 119....Goal Reached in 8 short months..
sleeve genie
on 5/23/11 12:37 pm - Alhambra, CA
One gal said she put rolls of quarters in her pockets.  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Kristy R.
on 5/23/11 12:39 pm - Santa Clara, CA
 some people also suggest wearing heavy clothes, layering.  Ankle weights under your pants...say you have to go to the bathroom and take all the stuff off stick all the stuff in a large purse before you see the Dr.  
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Danielle K.
on 5/23/11 12:52 pm - Evart, MI
 I'm sorry but I'm going to go on a little rant here.  Don't ANY of you see anything wrong with what you are telling this girl to do??? First off gaining 6lbs to ensure surgery is one thing.  Padding yourself with weights, heavy clothing or loading your pockets with coins is insurance fraud and is ILLEGAL!!  I am appalled that I keep seeing this on here.  This is the 3 or 4th time I've seen people giving this advice.  If you get caught you will be prosecuted and I'm pretty sure blacklisted by your insurance company.  Believe me the offices have seen it all.  My surgeon told us about someone who did this with sandbags on his abdomen and they fell off on the scale!

I just do not see how anyone can do this JUST TO LOSE WEIGHT!!!!  I am all for being healthier.  I personally put on 10lbs to get pre approved for a 2nd surgery (if I ever need it).  But I never would have strapped weights to myself.  I'm sorry this is all just crazy.  

Maybe I have a higher sense of ethics, who knows.  But I would suggest eating high salty foods, don't drink a bunch of water maybe diet soda something that'll make you retain water but not break the law.
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

Becky S.
on 5/23/11 1:11 pm - Grand Junction, CO
I see your point and I never thought of it as fraud, but now I clearly understand. However, when you started your condemnation of the advice given I at first thought you were going to say the fact that being under 40 BMI is something so many of us pray for. I'm not one to judge someone on their decision to have WLS but I don't think I would be encouraging someone to have serious surgery just to lose weight while there are so many who have this surgery to save their lives.  But, to the original post, if surgery is your ultimate decision, God bless and good luck.
Danielle K.
on 5/23/11 1:40 pm - Evart, MI
On May 23, 2011 at 8:11 PM Pacific Time, Becky S. wrote:
I see your point and I never thought of it as fraud, but now I clearly understand. However, when you started your condemnation of the advice given I at first thought you were going to say the fact that being under 40 BMI is something so many of us pray for. I'm not one to judge someone on their decision to have WLS but I don't think I would be encouraging someone to have serious surgery just to lose weight while there are so many who have this surgery to save their lives.  But, to the original post, if surgery is your ultimate decision, God bless and good luck.
I see your point.  I personally never would have considered WLS unless I had 100lbs to lose (and I didn't).  But that is ME.  I won't "condemn" someone based on a personal preference or belief.  The insurance fraud thing yeah it bugs me.  I came off harsh, and I apologize for that.  But this is seriously the 4th time I have seen this on here in 10 weeks.  It makes me ill.
HW: 294 SW: 287 Surgery Weight: 271.6 CW: 218.2        

pcannedy
on 5/23/11 2:13 pm - Sacramento, CA
I agree with you and no one should comp their ethics to have surgery.

Ms Shell
on 5/23/11 2:15 pm - Hawthorne, CA
So you personally (I'll add deliberately) put on 10lbs to get preapproved so why is your fraud any different?

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

wert
on 5/23/11 2:21 pm - MN
Nope. Not a bit.  I felt like it was my way to deal with an unreasonable requirement. I'm sure you're a lot more ethical than I am and I congratulate you for it.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views